Just got a mini

briand05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
After getting really sick of the viruses, crashing, spyware, etc. of windows I decided to get a mini. So far it seems pretty fast, it definitely needs the extra RAM which I'm going to have installed soon. One thing that is significantly faster is browsing the web, IE would hang frequently or crash often, Safari is a much better experience. Personally I think it's better than firefox on Windows as well. It is so speedy it's hard to believe. When the new Intel mac come out I'm planning on probably getting one of the laptops. Text is a lot easier to read than on Windows.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Congratulations, briand05, on then new Mac purchase! What will you be using the Mac mini for?

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
How about a DVR? Thats what I want one for. Hook this sucker up to an eyetv 200 with the Mini Hard Drive add on and you got yourself one kick but entertainment center.

Jedda

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Congrats on the purchase!

You'll love it.

Welcome to the community.

briand05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
tech4all said:
Congratulations, briand05, on then new Mac purchase! What will you be using the Mac mini for?
Just for web browsing, using iphoto, itunes, maybe some imovie as well. Occasional word processing. Some photo editing.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
What model did you get? You should get rid of the 256MB and stick in 1GB.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
briand05 said:
After getting really sick of the viruses, crashing, spyware, etc. of windows I decided to get a mini. So far it seems pretty fast, it definitely needs the extra RAM which I'm going to have installed soon. One thing that is significantly faster is browsing the web, IE would hang frequently or crash often, Safari is a much better experience. Personally I think it's better than firefox on Windows as well. It is so speedy it's hard to believe. When the new Intel mac come out I'm planning on probably getting one of the laptops. Text is a lot easier to read than on Windows.
hey that's great that you got a mac mini.. you will like it.. just make sure to have the proc performance set to highest in the energy saver settings so at least you will get a small performance boost from what you currently got.. what apple does is set their computers to automatic when they are shipped.. :eek:

Attachments

briand05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
bodeh6 said:
What model did you get? You should get rid of the 256MB and stick in 1GB.
I got the 1.25/ 40 GB model, I will be getting rid of this 256MB soon in a week or so.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
CubaTBird said:
hey that's great that you got a mac mini.. you will like it.. just make sure to have the proc performance set to highest in the energy saver settings so at least you will get a small performance boost from what you currently got.. what apple does is set their computers to automatic when they are shipped.. :eek:
thats not even an option on a mac mini. they are a desktop system not a laptop. I have a mini and that stuff does not even show up in energy saver.

this is a laptop option and for some reason the imac G5 has it also (no idea why) but its the only dt that does. all desktops besides the imac G5 can only run at full speed.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
zen.state said:
thats not even an option on a mac mini. they are a desktop system not a laptop. I have a mini and that stuff does not even show up in energy saver.

this is a laptop option and for some reason the imac G5 has it also (no idea why) but its the only dt that does. all desktops besides the imac G5 can only run at full speed.

I am pretty sure my Powermac has it too. I thought all macs had it, laptop or not.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
ChrisFromCanada said:
I am pretty sure my Powermac has it too. I thought all macs had it, laptop or not.
Not there on my Quicksilver! It was there on my old iBook and I know it's on the iMac G5's. I think the person that posted that was correct. That is weird that the iMacs have it. Maybe because they are also the same form factor, meaning flat and thin, as a laptop is.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Congrats and welcome to the cult of Mac. You'll be making fun of things like the BSoD and Longhorn release dates before you know it.

WeeShoo

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2005
North Carolina
You made a great Move, I just recently switched but Ive been working with Mac's and such at school, so Im not a n00b. If you have any question's feel free to contact me.