Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brianbkny, Jan 1, 2007.
2.16 core 2 duo
2 gigs of ram
upgraded from a g4 ibook. what should i do/download?
must have softwares (for me), plz use google search for locations or just goto macupdate.com , ps, all of below softwares are free, or shareware without function or time limitations.
1. adium, messenger, support AIM/Yahoo/MSN
2. Azureus or Transmission or bit rocket, p2p bittorrent software
3. firefox/thunderbird, browser/email
4. comicbooklover(share) and ffview, read comic books
5. coreduo temp/smcfancontrol, check your CPU temperature/control your fan speed
6. cyberduck, ftp client
7. mac the ripper/DVD imager/DVD remaster/ ffmpegx/iSquint/ Handbrake, DVD ripping
8. flip4mac, play wmv file in quicktime
9. frostwire/aMule, p2p
10. Gimp/Seashore photo editing
11. google earth
12. VLC/mplayer OSX universal media player, play anything, divx, xvid, h.264 etc, etc
13, neooffice, openoffice, free office suite
14. OnyX, really good stuff to maintain your system, it recovered 6G space for me once.
15. plot, mathematical plotting
16. quicksilver, application launcher, better than spotlight
17. Realplayer, only once can pley real video file on osx
18. skype/sightspeed, messenger, allow video conference with your buddies on windows.
19. stuffix, expand any compressed file
20. virtual desktops, fabulous animated switch desktops, much like OSX 10.5's "space"
Use the Software Update ...
Honestly, clevin, anything I can think of...you've already named it
Thanks clevin! Thread bookmarked.
first thing i did!
thanks for the list!!
I would get adium and mercury messenger (MM for video chat with MSNers on PC)
Neooffice as said above (free office suite)
Some disagree but Firefox is my favourite browser.
Skype if friends have it
Xtorrent - torrents with built in browser
If you have other macs - Chicken of the VNC
i just wrote down all free programs in my application folder, I think they are pretty typical for most day-2-day use,,, glad it helps.
WOW thats quite an extensive list THANKS
I got my MBP a couple weeks ago and was wondering if anyone that can think of some COOL programs that i can't be found on windows or other must haves? THANKS!
go to macforums and post... oh wait..
What exactly does OnyX do? Is it worth it? I've just ordered a new MBP too...2.33 15"...
And flip4mac vs. Windows Media Player for mac? Which is better? I had troubles last november with flip4mac and a Macbook CoreDuo....was it because it wasn't for Intel Macs then? Or i dunno...
so i get a new mbp.. is apples method of transferin all my stuff from ol pbk across via firewire reliable? isnt it best to reinstall all settings manually, especialy as goin from ppc to intel?? a hassle but less chanc of glitches? or a better method??
Calibrate your battery:
That's clutch. Thanks for the link!