Just got a new Air from Apple Store, didnt come with Mavericks

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by washburn, Nov 9, 2013.

1. washburn macrumors 6502

Hi there

I'm worrying that I got an older machine with older flash storage tech or some other things..

What should I do to check if I have the latest stuff?

also is it common to get an older OS with a new machine?

cheers

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Nothing to worry about. Maybe open Mac App Store and see it you're eligible for the new pages/numbers/keynote bundle.

3. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Yes, there are machines that Apple sells still come with ML. Just download Mavericks and install. Not that hard.

EDIT: Why wouldn't they sell through their stock with ML? I mean if they sent it back to upgrade them that would just increase costs to them.

4. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Count your lucky stars. This way you can wait until Mavericks is more mature before updating.

5. Jedi Master macrumors regular

Well Hairy Mavericks work fine unless run running crapware

Mavericks works fine, been using it fro months.

Maybe try remove any crapware and get on with life.

Not sure of any problems you might be having but remember it take two to tango.

6. .Pete. macrumors newbie

Just go to 'About this Mac' in the Finder menu and check your machine against the stats for a current-gen and previous-yen MBA - you´ll figure out pretty quickly which one you have!

Wouldn´t worry though - new MBAs were announced the same day as mavericks, so any new machines manufactured ahead of launch could well have had ML installed. Happened to me when I bought a MBA in Summer ´12 just after the ML launch and it still had Lion installed - quick trip back to the Apple store and it was sorted in about 15 mins.

7. Acorn, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I picked up a 2013 air November 6th and it also had mountain lion. I was happy for that fact. I had tested Mavericks on other machines and had issues with it. So I actually wanted Mountain Lion.

Mavericks is free anyway so its not a big deal to update it. If you bought it from the applestore I seriously doubt its previous generation.

if your worried about older flash tech run black magic speed test. you should get around 560 write 720 read

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Similar scenario. I walked in with Lion once and got downgraded to Snow Leopard (which wasnt that bad...) and went back to the store for another issue and I got Mountain Lion on the house and reduced pricing on my repairs (older machine). Personally I'm waiting for Mavericks to mature out, I have software critical for my work and I simply can not risk an OS update that doesn't bring anything I neccessarily need to the table (although Thunderbolt networking will be nice for render farms in the future, thats aways off).

9. washburn, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

washburn thread starter macrumors 6502

I prefer fresh native OS installs as opposed to upgrade installations...

It seems like the latter messes with things and leaves left over files or some other crap

I just upgraded and Im noticing slow shut down/boot times and the Mavericks intro animation is stuttering a bit in the boot process.

----------

Im getting 312 write 700 read

base air 1.3ghz model 13" sandisk ssd

10. kage207, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

kage207 macrumors 6502a

To each their own. I've never had problems with Apple OS X upgrades. I just stick to a clean install of my OS iteration once a year. :/

Edit: I take that back. Only bad OS X was Lion. No problems upgrading, just a terrible OS all around for 4 months then it became somewhat usable.

11. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Normal. Although you'll have the latest machine, for some reason you're likely to get an older version of the OS. Colleague of mine got a MBA last year on Black Friday from the Apple store, that shipped with Lion! (Mountain Lion was released July 2012, over four months earlier!) They'll eMail you a code to download the latest OS.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It'll be a fair while before machines released before Mavericks start shipping with it pre-installed. Only the new Retina MBPs are guaranteed to have it pre-loaded.

The 1.3GHz model is the current version.

13. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

ha, white knighting for an OS is a new one for me.

14. iLuvMyMacToo macrumors regular

Don't worry about it. I just received my built to order MBA i7/256GB/8GB ram today and it still had Mountain Lion. Easy fix, I did a clean install, downloaded all the other apps as usual and everything is brill. :)

15. Reymugen macrumors newbie

I'm going to buy a mba next week. And i just wondered the same. When it doesn't come with mavericks, how can i make a fresh os install of mavericks without just updating?

16. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

sorry base 128 mb ssd has slower speeds then the 256 gb model.

View attachment 446976

17. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

I just got my BTO and it also had ML

Upgraded instantly to Mavericks to get as clean an install as possible.

It is annoying though

18. Ccrew macrumors 68020

So, pull down Internet recovery, open disc utility, blow away the partition, and install clean. Sheesh.

19. robvas macrumors 68020

And the 1TB model is even faster!

20. dean1012 macrumors regular

An easy way to tell if you have the latest is to go to Apple->About This Mac then "More Info" then look at Graphics.

If it's "Intel HD Graphics 5000", it's the latest. Last generation was Intel HD Graphics 4000.

21. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

what do you mean. there is no 1 tb macbook air ssd. what I said was true. the 128 gb ssd in the 2013 mac air and the 256 model in the 2013 macbook air have 2 different write speeds. as you can see from my screenshot i get over 500 and he is getting 300 with the 128 gb model.

22. robvas macrumors 68020

You can in the Retina, though.

23. qawsed macrumors regular

Ah guys, clearly if it's a new air from Apple it's going to be the latest model. Come on!

24. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

714 write 730 read here

25. vicynic macrumors member

Yep, same here. I think it's normal.