just got a new Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mlody, Oct 19, 2014.

1. mlody macrumors 6502a

Just got a new Apple TV (from Costco if that matters). Is there any reason why I should use wifi connection over the wired connection? My Apple TV sits right next to my router so cabling is none issue for me.

Thanks

2. mic j macrumors 68030

Wired is better. The only thing I have really noticed that favors wireless is sometimes updates work better of wifi. I have no explanation for it, but I have seen on these forums of people having slow or stalled update downloads over ethernet but solved by switching to wireless.

As an example of my own experience recently, I was trying to update my iPhone (wired to my MBP and through iTunes) to iOS8 and it was telling me it was going to be 8 hours or more to download. Tried wirelessly and it was done in 20 minutes. I think similar things might be going on with aTV updates, but who knows?

Go wired if you can and if you have an update issue try wifi.

3. JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

Your wifi should be way faster than your internet connection, so technical issues aside (as mentioned by mic j), you shouldn't notice a difference in speed when streaming content from any of the apps (iTunes Movies, Netflix, etc.)

:)

4. mlody thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all for the info. I went with the hard wired connection as it made more sense. My router is not the newest one (wndr3700v2), and I had an empty port available so it was none issue. My Wi-Fi is already congested so that is one less device that I do not need to worry about :)

5. woodywoodz Suspended

woodywoodz

generally wired connection would be more stable than WiFi connection.

6. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

There is currently an issue with the ATV os where the ATV3 doesn't wake from sleep thru ethernet.

It will if on wifi, and if you click remote.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If the Apple TV isn't connected via WiFi to your local network Airplay won't work. I don't think.