Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
If so, how? Is there an Apple-authorized way of doing this? Will setting it up in any way compromise the performance of my iMac or void my warranty?

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Who cares? Assuming you're going to get Lion anyway, how is your experience going to suffer over the course of the next 30 or so days without it?

Deleting files without TRIM is detrimental to the SSD, no?

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Filling up my SSD has nothing to do with this, does it?

From what I understand, TRIM allows any deleted files to be properly and effectively deleted so there is no residual information leftover and so the SSD can operate more smoothly.

Dosen't 10.6.8 have trim support? It was released yesterday. Install the upgrade and your all set.

Can someone confirm that installing this update is all I need to do with regards to TRIM? 10.6.8 has both TRIM support and automatically enables it?

Last edited by a moderator:

johnfkitchen

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
If so, how? Is there an Apple-authorized way of doing this? Will setting it up in any way compromise the performance of my iMac or void my warranty?

Have you checked to see if TRIM is enabled or not? It was enabled on mine by default when I got my iMac earlier this month. It has an Apple SSD. That was before 10.6.8

I'd be surprised if you have to do anything.

FACADE

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
Can someone confirm that installing this update is all I need to do with regards to TRIM? 10.6.8 has both TRIM support and automatically enables it?

I installed 10.6.8 last night and TRIM was automatically enabled.

2011-06-24_20-25-01.png

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
I installed 10.6.8 last night and TRIM was automatically enabled.

It says "Yes" for me, as well, but I took this to mean that it was possible to enable it, not that it was already enabled. In other words, I thought the "Yes" means, "yes, you can enable TRIM - TRIM support is available, if you so choose".

Does that "Yes" actually mean that TRIM support is enabled and already activated?

johnfkitchen

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
It says "Yes" for me, as well, but I took this to mean that it was possible to enable it, not that it was already enabled. In other words, I thought the "Yes" means, "yes, you can enable TRIM - TRIM support is available, if you so choose".

Does that "Yes" actually mean that TRIM support is enabled and already activated?

So why do you think Apple would deliver you a Mac with an SSD which supports TRIM, an operating system which supports TRIM, and not enable it, nor tell you how to enable it? TRIM is important, why would Apple be so stupid as to not turn it on!!

Just answer the question. Then repeat your post 3 times and OP here should be satisfied. Kinda hard person to deal, dont u think?

You can say that again. You can say that again. You can say that again.

Amnesiacs are quite hard to deal with, and this one especially.

Last edited by a moderator:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
So why do you think Apple would deliver you a Mac with an SSD which supports TRIM, an operating system which supports TRIM, and not enable it, nor tell you how to enable it? TRIM is important, why would Apple be so stupid as to not turn it on!!

Stop asking his question already sir, before he gets on your nerve :lol:

For Op: just ask apple technician or Apple phone support about this. You seems dont' believe people here, why bother post? Asking for 100 confirmation with 1 same question

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Stop asking his question already sir, before he gets on your nerve :lol:

For Op: just ask apple technician or Apple phone support about this. You seems dont' believe people here, why bother post? Asking for 100 confirmation with 1 same question

No offense, but does anyone who has responded to this thread actually and unequivocally know if that "Yes" means that TRIM is enabled?

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
No one has explicitly stated that the "Yes" can be taken that way (that is, that TRIM is enabled), let alone affirming that the "Yes" unequivocally means TRIM is enabled.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
For Op: just ask apple technician or Apple phone support about this.

I think I speak for many here, I agree.

You get 90 days free phone support. (or 3 years if you bought apple care)

Id start using it ASAP.

Specifically its open:
M-F 6am - 8pm & Sat-Sun 6am - 6pm PST.

You might try here for more TRIM explanations: http://www.anandtech.com/print/2738

I seriously doubt you will ever use the drive enough to even scratch the full performance of the SSD

Last edited:

kasey01

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2007

I installed 10.6.8 on my mid-2009 macbook pro and it enabled TRIM on my Apple branded toshiba SSD (TS256B) that I bought off of ebay. TRIM was not enabled in 10.6.7 on it. You just need to check system profiler. If it says "Yes" next to TRIM, then TRIM is enabled.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I installed 10.6.8 on my mid-2009 macbook pro and it enabled TRIM on my Apple branded toshiba SSD (TS256B) that I bought off of ebay. TRIM was not enabled in 10.6.7 on it. You just need to check system profiler. If it says "Yes" next to TRIM, then TRIM is enabled.

Hmm .. he wouldn´t believe that, trust me :rolleyes:

He think when System Profiler says ¨TRIM Support: Yes¨ doesn´t mean it enabled. Read above posts and you would know. He want to see ¨TRIM Support: Yes, and also Enabled only for Amnesiac1 iMac by Steve Jobs himself¨

But I think this kind of OP is needed for some fresh laugh or comedy. You know, bring down the tense :p

Gugulino

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
Switzerland
I have a MacBook Pro bought in 2008 and for my APPLE SSD SM128 it says still NO for TRIM Support in System Profiler after updating Mac OS X to 10.6.8. That's silly!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I have a MacBook Pro bought in 2008 and for my APPLE SSD SM128 it says still NO for TRIM Support in System Profiler after updating Mac OS X to 10.6.8. That's silly!

Some older SSDs do not support TRIM. The Samsung you has doesn't I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.