Just got a new iPhone 4! Are protection/cases necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DannyNguyener, Feb 20, 2011.

1. DannyNguyener macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

I love the thin, natural feeling of the iPhone. Any users here used it for a while without a case? Any scratches? Any shatters? Apple claims that the iPhone's glass is superior to normal glass, and not prone to normal everyday scratches.

2. AlexIamandi macrumors newbie

You should consider a case. If you wear jeans, definitely you need a case:D.
    I know that from my experience.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If you drop an iPhone once on pavement, its most likely going to be cracked. Speck has some great cases.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

Drop the phone on a corner and it's going to crack or shatter, so the bumper-type cases are good. Only advantage to a screen protector is keeping fingerprints off.

5. DannyNguyener thread starter macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

So cases yes, screen protectors no? Have you guys accumulated any scratches from not using screen protectors?

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

People have accidents, no matter how careful they are. If you're clutzy, you definitely need a case. Remember, it's glass on both sides. If you drop it, the glass usually cracks or breaks. It's either a case or a square trade warranty.

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Nope. I dont really see the point of screen protectors. I just keep my keys and phone in different pockets.

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I baby my phone and my AT&T iPhone got a few deep scratches fairly easily. From day 1, my verizon iPhone have had both a screen protector and a case.

9. DannyNguyener thread starter macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

10. Geffen macrumors 6502

I would say get a case you just never know when scratches will appear or if you ever drop your iphone on concrete you wont have to worry about the glass being shattered. I have a screen protector on mine. Its definately an investment that i want to protect.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I would definitely recommend a case. My wife just knocked my iPhone off the kitchen table and it fell on its corner on the tiled floor.
    Fortunately, I had it in a case so the only damage was a slightly deformed case on the corner, but if I hadn't I think I'd be having to pay for a replacement phone!

I've got a Switcheasy Nude ultra clear on my phone and it is hard to tell there's a case on. It's great apart from one (fairly major) problem: It scratches as soon as you look at it (very similar to the fronts of the old iPod nanos). I'm sticking with it until it looks completely horrible and will then change it
    I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get an Otterbox Defender: has anyone else used one of those and, if so, how much bulk do they add?

12. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I highly recommend this case for protecting the back from scratches. It wont necessarily protect the phone from falls, but if you want some protection, but also keep an incredibly thin and attractive profile... then look at iFrogz Luxe Lean. I have it on my phone and love it.

http://ifrogz.com/product/IP4GLL

It's $20 on Amazon.

13. CZK macrumors 6502a

nah non eed all this. Just let it hit the floor.

14. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I had my iPhone a week and it fell out of the pocket of my button down shirt as I leaned over to pick up a bag of groceries. Landed back side down on the concrete steps. It only fell about a foot to a foot and a half. Two small cracks in the glass right where the frame meets the glass. Very small, but can be seen if you look closely.

I now have a very minimal InCase snap case which covers the side and back. Yes, they are needed unless you don't care about some cracked & scratched glass.

15. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Yes. A lot.

But in a good way.

I like the Otterbox Commuter

This past week, I've gone naked. I actually miss a case because its easier to hold in my man-hands

I'm the only one I know who wishes the next iPhone was considerably bigger (EVO or bigger) so i could hold it better

16. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Defender adds a lot of bulk. I had one, but got rid of it. I couldn't get my phone in my pocket.

17. tucker3434, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

tucker3434 macrumors regular

I went to BBuy and picked up an otter box the day my iphone came in. I've seen too many iphones with broken screens to risk it. It has done a fantastic job. The phone looks brand new when I remove the case.

Edit: just saw the post above about adding bulk. It definitely does. The rubberized case makes it a little difficult to get it in and out of my pocket. It's something you get used to, though. It would probably take a full submersion for any significant amount of water to get to the phone, and dropping it doesn't phase it at all.

18. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

Incase

Is the incase slider a worthy case to protect the iPhone 4? I've used them on the iPod touches that I have owned. The only problem that I saw with the incase slider going onto the iPod touch was that it is hard to take off.

19. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Personally I hate cases, and hate screen protectors even more. I really dont see the point of screen "protectors". It's not going to keep your screen from cracking, and the screen doesnt really scratch that easy from natural use either. But if you usually drop your phone a lot, then yes get a case. Screen protector, not so much.

I just like the natural look and feel of the phone. The shiny Apple logo with the nice black glass around it looks great and don't see the point of covering it up to keep it from scratching if you're never going to see it...

HOWEVER, i do have a bumper on my phone ONLY because it was free. Its the closest thing to not having a case while still having one. I would recommend it. Plus it helps with the whole signal issue.

20. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I can't hold the iP4 without a case... it's just too slick. Folks with moist hands seem to be able to hold it better, but they also seem to be more prone to antennae issues.

21. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I had one and it scratched up my antenna band from removing every night to set on the charging dock. Right now I'm using an incipio dual layer case and it works very nice. Got it at verizon, but works fine on my AT&T phone.

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Thanks, guys. I don't really like bulky cases but I do want a bit more protection for my phone than the one I've got (if my phone had landed face down today, I'm sure it would have been toast). I may have a look at the Otterbox Commuter instead

23. tigress666, Feb 20, 2011

tigress666 macrumors 68040

I like your basic cheap silicone case (the cheap rubber like clear ones that you can find in all sorts of different colors you find at the little cellphone accessory kiosks in the mall). Doesn't make the phone huge like some cases will and it seems to do its job.

I'm a clutz and I've dropped my phone quite a few times now (mostly on its corner, I don't know if it's ever actually landed flat on its back/front) and it's totally intact, not a scratch that I've seen. Shoot, it got slid on its face on asphalt today as it fell out of my purse, no scratch on it. Don't know if it is due to the tougher glass as the tough glass is on the front, the back glass is your basic glass, or the case. Either way, it's not scratched up at all from that even. I'd say the case kept the face from scratching cause it still has a lip that sticks out some and it sounded like it skidded on that, not the glass.

From what I hear though it seems that when you hear iPhone shattering stories, it lands flat on its back/front. So the corner drop in its case may not be the worst type drop for it.

24. iMattcotv, Feb 20, 2011

iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

I have had my iPhone 4 for 4 months now, I havent dropped it once, I wear jeans constantly, I am yet to see any scratches on it.

PS: You shouldnt even get a case.. The phone is sexy, let it be, dont make that sexy model wear a sweater.. Let her strut her stuff

BUT, If you absolutely need some protection, my advice is to just buy a leather sleeve. It gives you the protection you need.

Most iPhone users drop their iPhones while:
    - Putting it back in their pocket, or on the table
    - Taking it out of their pocket

A leather sleeve will protect it when your not unlocking the device and using it securely in your hands, so if you dont need to use the phone and want to place it on the table, you can put it in its sleeve so that if someone happens to knock it over, it will completely safe.

Thats what I use to do with my iPod touch, and use to do with my iPhone 4 in the beginning. I actually dropped my iPhone 4 from my 5 feet table while in its sleeve, it didnt damage a thing. Now imagine that without a sleeve.. or a bumper.. Cases and bumpers dont add protection at all..

In fact, I think its more dangerous to use cases, because what if the case comes off accidentally while holding it? ouch..

This was the leather sleeve I used