Just Got A New Iphone Omg Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JordanLB23, Dec 18, 2009.

1. JordanLB23 macrumors regular

omg so excited im about to **** myself.

so before i start playing around with it what are some good things to know? like how should i maximize the battery life? let it run out fully then charge it from 0-100%?

how does the app store work to download games? what about jailbreaking and the pros and cons about it? is it hard? etc.

omg!

also was wondering if switcheasy ships to canada? it says it only ships to US residences, but there is no more info on shipping.
    i really want the rebel menace case, but how can i get it? i live around the toronto area.

does anyone know where i can get the rebel M case in toronto area?

2. irfansblog macrumors newbie

I guess you might have to see official site provided by the company or make some search as this easiest question you'll get from them only. anyways enjoy using your new iPhone;)

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

start reading

here and Apple.com they have there own forum as well enjoy your Iphone you will find most of your questions can be answered via the search here and google not be rude but many many answers can be found searching as these topics are very well discussed.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

For starters, I'd check out this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=324487

LOTS of very useful information.

Next I'd go to this area:

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

and start reading. Jailbreaking is extremely simple these days and the possibilities for customization are nearly endless.

Enjoy your phone!

5. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

what about the battery life? how should i ake it so it doesnt die and it maximizes? dont i need to let it charge frmo 0% to 100% all the time?

also what is the pixel dimensions for the wallpaper photo, and what file should i save it in in photoshop so i can use it on my iphone?

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, that is the worst thing you could do to your battery. Back in the days of NiCd batteries, that was the advice; but your iPhone has a Lithium-Ion battery without any of the older NiCd "memory" issues. Fully discharging these batteries greatly reduces their life.

When you first get it and a couple of times a year you should run it to the automated shutoff and then charge overnight. This will keep the battery meter calibrated. Other than that, you should whenever possible charge it when it's between 40 and 60%. And it never hurts your battery to top it off throughout the day.

7. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

so it's fine if i plug my iphone into my mbp to sync the music and videos right now even though it will be charged fora bit?

8. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Have you owned an iPod before? :eek:

When you connect the iPhone to a computer, it will charge even while transferring music, movies etc.

9. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i know... is that ok? will it damage the battery or no

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

1. Charge as often as possible. It's the healthiest thing to do for those batteries.

2. Don't try to deplete the iPhone battery. The iPhone has a limited amount of charge cycles. A charge cycle is fully drained and fully charged again. However, if you use 50% of the battery and charge it back to 100%, you only used half of a charge cycle. So charging more often will make your battery live longer.

I doubt you're going to use 100% of your battery every day. Just pop it on the charger when you go to sleep and start from 100% the next day. Easy.

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

75% of my battery is drained while it is "Sleeping" in my pocket for 8 hours, another 20% is burned browsing web(10-15 mins)/playing music (for 2 hours). OP I hope you are more lucky than me.

12. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

my battery is dropping really fast... 70% to 66% real quick

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's not normal. Restore your iPhone.

14. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

I would suggest emailing yourself the photo. it's easier and faster than connecting to ur computer and adding a whole folder just for a wallpaper

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Tried that. I set it up as new too. I really don't want to call Apple about it because I have sent them 3 iPhones back due to similar problems.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

There's no limit on the warranty. The iPhone is not supposed to do that and if it does, you have the right to return it.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It doesn't matter how many times you've sent back phones.

Gosh, TheSpaz can fill you in on that more than anyone. :)

Anyway, your battery is bad.

18. jglavin macrumors regular

Expect to have to charge every day. I would guess I can get roughly 3-4 hours actual usage time out of mine... I charge every night and typically use almost all the battery through the day.

19. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

20. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Sounds like the same issue i had. Ill tell you how to fix it. Get familiarized with your phone.

Mine drained from 100 to 20% in like 4hours the first few days and this was due to the fact i didnt know how to use it and apps would get hung up and crap.

Just take the manual read it and then full restore you iphone. Which i did the same thing and i havnt had a single issue since.

21. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

how do apps get hung up? do ineed to fully hold the home button to fully close the app?

22. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

When all else fails, hit the home button. This will close apps or return you to the home screen, wherever you may have wandered off to. ;)

My advice to you is to just sit there, especially on a Sunday, and play around with your iPhone.

This should help you significantly too.

23. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

so for 1hr and 53 mins, my battery went from 100% to 60%...

is that good or bad?

the seller from the phone store said the first time i use the phone i need to use it to 0% then 100%, and charge it like that for 15 hours.

but u guys said its fine if u charge ir whenever to 100%.

24. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

an 1 Hour and 53 mins, That is pretty good yea but let it die completely before the first time you charge it