Just got a new Mac Pro. Should I just plug in Time Machine to restore?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TwitchOSX, Nov 28, 2011.

1. TwitchOSX macrumors 6502

Just got a new (refurbed) 8 core Mac Pro. I'm wondering if I should just take the Time Machine drive that is hooked up to our current G5 and restore. Or should I hook the machines up together somehow and manually move files? Whats the best thing to do here?

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would just restore the user folders. Not applications and settings.

In every case I have seen using the time machine restore applications and settings from PPC to Intel ended with some buggy programs.

Personally I prefer just manually transferring files. Usually by pulling the hard drive and using an adapter. File sharing over Ethernet works fine too it is just slower and more work to setup.

My preferred order of setup is. Which I have found over a great deal of new setups and reinstalls to provide the most reliable finished product.
    1. Set system and network settings (temporarily disabling any energy saver until setup is complete)
    2. Install drivers.
    3. Install all updates to the OS.
    4. Install all major software and browser add ons (flash, shockwave, air, reader, downloadthemall, flash block, java, adblock plus)
    5. Create user accounts and transfer all files.
    6. Disable all automatic updates and any startup programs that don't need to load when booting. I disable the automatic updates so they don't unexpectedly slow down the computer. I check manually every month or so.

3. TwitchOSX thread starter macrumors 6502

My concern is with the Adobe Creative Suite apps. I don't have discs for those because we always just grabbed the downloadable version when we upgraded. We currently have CS3 and will be getting CS5.5 as soon as we can. But what about all my other apps? My apps folder has 123 items in it. I don't want to have to try and re-download all the little crap like Transmit, Firefox, etc. I should be able to just drag and drop that stuff.. it's not like Windows for most apps. They don't really have to be "installed"

4. TwitchOSX thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm... so.. I should take the main hard drive out of the G5 and put it into an external HD enclosure and then access the files from there on the Mac Pro? Looking on the network, the only thing the Mac Pro sees is the dropbox on the G5. Doesnt even see the windows machine right now but it does see the RIP for our color copier.