Just got a new Macbook 13" 2.0ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by baddj, Mar 6, 2009.

1. baddj macrumors 6502

Hello,

I just got the macbook 13" 2.0ghz and this is my first mac i have ever owned and well i can say i love it. but i have some Qs to ask

1) What software will do this
    - localhost webserver
    - coding php,html and css.
    - take screencasts

2) How can i get the ram upgraded with out avoiding the warranty?

3) How can i use the webcam to take photos and save them as jpeg etc.

4) How do i uninstall programs the right why so i get ever bite back on the HDD?

Thank you,
    baddj

2. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Congrats on the new mac!

1. Not sure...

2. You will not void your warranty if you change your ram. I suggest getting Crucial RAM from crucial.com.

3. There is a program called Photo Booth that comes pre-installed on your computer which will allow you to do this.

4. I would recommend downloading a free program call AppCleaner from the Apple website to remove programs from your computer.

Hope this helps...

3. baddj thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you,

With the ram bit is there any shop i can take it two were they can to it so i can keep it?

4. L0s7man macrumors 6502

For coding, get Xcode from Apple (free, I think developer.apple.com or something like that) and see if it does what you want. If not, there should be plugins. It's a comprehensive pakcage so it takes a bit of space though.

Xcode is really nice once you get used to.

5. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

1) Put in your OS X installation DVD and install the additional development tools. You get all the XCODE system as well as Apache web server and much much more that should do what you want.

2) RAM and HD on MB's are meant to be user upgradable so you will not void your warantee if you do it yourself. I like OWC - Macsales.com and they offer how to video's and the correct toolkit for the tiny screws as well as great prices and customer service. The apple support site also has instructions but you can't beat the videos at macsales.

3) Photobooth will do this and is already on your Mac.

4) AppCleaner is a great free one.

6. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

1. MacCD has tools (or should).
    2. You will have to do it yourself and can be intimidating for someone who has spent a lot of money and isn't tech savvy. Just keep track and remember where each screw came from and you should be fine.
    3. Photo Booth is great if you are using the built in iSight. It is far more complicated to use Photo Booth with an external camera on an MB. You need to run iChat, have it use the camera, then run photo booth (it will use the next camera, which would be whatever you are using).
    4. This is probably the wrong way to do it, but I blew away the hard drive and just reinstalled from my included disks what I wanted. In the OS, you'll need to customize the install (unless you need all those languages etc). Then use the application disk to apply what you want only.

I have always believed that the only true way to ensure a clean HD is to install everything from scratch as I like it (and the true benefit of OS X for me).

7. baddj thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your reply's :)

Also one more thing what free svn clients is there out there as i googled but could not find any. i would like it to have the gui like on the windows one when you control click on a folder you can do the svn stuff.

8. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Congrats! I have the same too except I got it on launch date. It's a great computer and upgrading the RAM will not void the warranty.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I completely agree, and it's an easy thing to do if you haven't already spend a lot of time customizing the system. The best things to remove (look for the customize/options buttons during install) are languages (most people can remove all but one), printer drivers (most people can remove most of them as well), GarageBand and iDVD (at least the extras). As far as the other apps go, I recommend keeping them unless you're 100% positive you won't use them. Don't pre-optimize disk use when you have over 100GB left as it is. ;)

As far as development tools go, as suggested, you can get them off the install disks (be sure to install X11 as well). I'd go to Apple's developer site, sign up (it's free) and download the latest Xcode (unless it's the same version as is on your install disk).

You'll be surprised what comes with OS X with no additional installations besides that developer code (which, as noted, is free). For example, subversion is included.

Edit: for coding HTML and the like, I use BBEDit and Coda. Coda might be just what you need - among other things, it has a nice Subversion GUI built-in.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats on the computer; for RAM, Crucial, G. Skill, and OCZ are among my favorites.

For coding, I use a text editor ;)

11. JD92, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  12. Jisuo macrumors 6502

On question number one I recommend MAMP (http://www.mamp.info/) together with a text editor like TextMate or Smultron.