Just got a new Macbook Air, questions about the battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by yoshibirdofan, Jul 28, 2014.

1. yoshibirdofan macrumors regular

Hey guys,

so I just recently got a brand new MacBook Air 13" from Best Buy and I absolutely love it. However, I'm a bit unsure as to how to properly take care of the battery. Am I supposed to let it go down to < 20% before charging, or should I not let it get to less than 20%? Am I supposed to keep it on the charger? I have absolutely no idea, what do you all do to keep your battery healthy?

2. nexus4life macrumors regular

Use your macbook when you need it, charge it when you get the chance. Unplug at least once every 2 weeks if it's always stationary. You really don't need to worry about it as much as some think.

3. DistantOrigin macrumors newbie

It's generally healthy for the MacBook Air battery to stay between 20 to 75%. If you're doing heavy, processor-intensive activities such as graphic intensive games, leave it plugged in while doing this as well; the battery losing juice fast isn't healthy for the longterm either. As the previous poster stated, batteries don't need nearly as much maintenance as they used to. Using your MacBook Air normally will be maintenance enough; the best thing for a battery is to have even flow of energy.
    I recommend searching the app store for an app named battery monitor. I use this to watch my battery closely and make sure I'm not going to damage it. It can also pump out growl or voice notifications telling you when the battery is discharged to a certain percent.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You will get so many different answers here that you still will not know. Just use it and enjoy.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Here is the official info straight from Apple.

No need to let it get to 20% or worry about getting below 20%. Apple does recommend not leaving it on the charger all the time. Just disconnect the charger once in a while and run on battery to "exercise" the battery and you will be fine.