Just got a new MacBook Pro. Need help transferring things please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jta98z, Sep 16, 2011.

1. jta98z macrumors newbie

I am trying to transfer 2 large HD movies purchased from iTunes to my MacBook from my pc. The problem is that I had to format my external hdd for FAT32 so it would work on the Mac but FAT won't allow anything larger than 4GB on it. How can I get these movies onto my Mac?

P.S. I also can't figure out how to get my iPhone calendars to the Mac?

Thanks guys!

2. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

You will have to split up the files. Fat32 doesn't allow files that size, as you noted.

I would FTP them if I were you.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Cant you just link your apple ID and download them to the new computer?

4. andy.barron macrumors 6502

5. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

I agree with phyrexia, if you absolutely can't change the filesystem on your external, use an archiving tool to split and compress the videos. I've only used Archiver.app (paid, from AppStore) but I think it shouldn't be hard finding a freeware program to do the same on Google.

6. jta98z thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you elaborate a little more? I'm not sure I follow. How would I go about doing this?

7. samac92 macrumors 6502a

Connect your Mac and PC directly via ethernet cable and just drag them over?

Direct connect
    To move files by connecting your Mac directly to your PC:

• Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
    • Make sure that both computers are turned on.
    • In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to open the window.
    • Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one of these formats:
    • smb://DNSname/ShareName
    • smb://IPaddress/ShareName
    • Click Connect.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name, user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.
    • Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
    • Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to anywhere on your Mac.
    • When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2518

8. andy.barron macrumors 6502

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

if you have external hard drive then format it with NTFS and move all your favorite movies over to external hd then your MBP will be able to read it and transfer it to your mbp..BUT you CANNOT transfer back from MBP to external hd.

10. RayK macrumors 6502

Yes just format the drive to ntfs get the files copied over ad them format to hfs+

11. jta98z thread starter macrumors newbie

...seriously? The idiot that i spoke to told me that Mac wouldn't even recognize NTFS. So now I have spent the better part of 4 hours formatting a drive that was ALREADY ntfs, splitting my large files so they could be put on fat32 and now I find out that Mac can read ntfs?... FML

Thanks guys!