just got a new macbook pro unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iHarrison, Sep 7, 2009.

1. iHarrison macrumors regular

iHarrison

I was curious what I should expect for battery life on this machine?

web surfing?

music?

movies?

etc.

also, does anyone else use the "auto brightness" for their screen or does that hurt battery life?

does the backlit keyboard hurt battery life? or is it not that big a deal to have it on?

thanks!

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

3. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

The newest 13" MacBook pro

4. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Should get around 4-6 hours with normal use. On my 15", I've gotten up to 8 hours surfing with min. brightness and now backlight:D.

5. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

Alright I use a wireless broadband card at my home for Internet because we can't get high speed and I think I only got around 3 hours of use but that was with iChat, instant messaging and Internet surfing.

6. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Sounds normal.

7. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

Alright thanks for your insight!

8. lavinci macrumors 6502

9. zwaldowski macrumors member

I've always been able to pull about 7 hours with my 13" uMBP. I recommend keeping the brightness to the lowest setting where you can still read it and the keyboard backlight to the lowest setting (but not off, if you need it on).

I'd keep up to date using Chrome or Opera 10 for surfing. I personally like Safari 4, but I'm just waiting for Chrome to become more stable. Firefox 3.5 is slow and clunky on OS X.

Music and movies... iTunes if you've used it before. If you have SL, QuickTime X is very nice for playing movies (you know... backed up from your own private DVD collection). If you don't have an iPod/iPhone, get a different library-based music app such as Songbird. You won't regret it... well, let's see what Wednesday brings for iTunes. :cool:

If you're a new Mac user, troll the entire internet for Mac apps. There's a huge community. Also look for Mac versions of your favorites: Evernote, Office 2008, etc.

10. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

any recommended apps that are worth the download?

any tips on keeping the battery "calibrated" or in good condition. Or, with the technology now days do you not really have to worry about calibrating and stuff like that?

11. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

can anyone tell me how to make it so that when i drag files/folders into a window it will automatically organize the folder...right now for some reason, when I drag folders into a finder window, it just goes literally RIGHT where i drop it and things get all out of order and messy unless i control click and tell it to organize by name...

suggestions, solution or tips?

12. milamber macrumors regular

if you right click in a folder and click on 'show view options' theres a drop down menu that lets you choose an option that 'snaps to grid' and should keep things tidy

13. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

that was EXACTLY what i needed...thanks so much..

now, haha, question #2: anyone have any clue why on my desktop whenever i drag and drop files, or whenever a disk drive is installed or a cd icon shows up on my desktop (practically anything on my destop) it always shows up a space below my Macintosh HD icon...almost as if my mac thinks that there is an icon already right underneath my macintosh hd. Any ideads?

14. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Maybe there was something there before the last time something mounted, and it continues to mount in the same place. Next time just drag the CD into the blank space and it should fill it every time.

15. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

I've actually done that with my external HD and every time I plug it in, it now fills that whole...any ideas on how to eliminate that all together? I'm clueless...honestly...I think it came from when I installed Snow Leopard and the instal CD image mounted to my desktop. Once i restarted and totally relaunched with Snow Leopard, i noticed that empty spot on the desktop...been that way since. Guess it's not THAT big a deal really anyway...was just curious. Thanks!

16. zwaldowski macrumors member

Batteries go down over time; that's just fact. Apple doesn't recommend calibrating, but they give instructions over time. While nobody's been able to test it out yet, Apple's advertising is holding firm so far that the battery should last approximately 5 years before death.

App recommendations always depend on what you do. However, I do have some all-purpose favorites: AppFresh (keeps apps updated), Gimp (photo editing), Google Earth, Handbrake (video conversion), Hulu Desktop (watches shows from Hulu... wait for it... on your desktop), Notify (GMail tray app), Pixelmator (NON-FREE photo editor), Quicksilver (quick search+launching), Skype, Solitaire XL, Transmission (BitTorrent), The Unarchiver (more file extracting), and VLC (video/audio player). :D

17. celticpride678

Apple actually DOES recommend calibrating your battery every two months. It helps a lot.

18. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

calibrating my battery would just entail me having my battery at full charge, running it completely dead and then recharging fully again?

19. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

thanks for the awesome list of apps...looking into most of them now. I've had handbrake before but now that I have Snow Leopard I see it only supports Mac OSX 10.5 or so. don;'t think i can download/use that program now with snow leopard until they update.

20. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

Yes with the addition of once the computer shuts down because the battery is drained you leave it "asleep" for another 5 hours before you recharge it (this is to be sure that you have fully rained the battery).

Good luck!

21. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Try here. It's a gigantic list of recommended apps.:)

22. brendu macrumors 68020

handbrake does work with snow leopard... i just tested it

23. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

should i do this once since I JUST got my macbook? or wait 2 months and then do this?

24. blurfonz macrumors regular