Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Thought I would share this with you.

I bought a Refurb Rev A Macbook in March 07. After about 6 months it developed a problem with an intermittently flickering screen. 8/10 when I used the computer the screen flickered. Apple arranged for it to be collected and taken to a repair centre. After two weeks they managed to replicate the problem, replaced the inverter board and sent it back to me.

2 weeks later, the problem reappeared. So again I sent it back to th repair centre. This time they were unable to replicate the problem. So I said send it back to me as I needed it for work.

2 months passed and the problem got worse. The flickering was constant and really really irritating. So I arranged to send it back for the third time.

After they had it for 2 days they called them - pretty certain that they MUST have seen the problem cause it was so obvious when I used it. But they said they hadn't. I was gutted.

The repair centre were not allowed to replace parts without seeing a problem either so I was worried I was going to be stuck with a computer that had a ropey screen. So I sent an email to sjobs@apple.com explaining the situation and asked for advice on what to do should they not be able to sort it. Incidentally, I called the repair centre yesterday , 2 days after emailing Steve, and they managed to breifly see the problem. They are replacing the inverter and LCD panel for me and sending it back.

Anyway - 10minutes ago I got a called from Apple Customer Relations. He said he was calling regarding the email I sent to Steve Jobs and that should I get the computer back and its still suffering the flicker - I should contact him directly and they will take it from there.

I have to say - I am very impressed with Apples customer service. While it is annoying to have a faulty screen and them not be able to have seen it in all its annoying glory - little things like this set Apple apart from their competitors. I know chances are that email was not read by Steve Jobs but rather his assistant or secretary and forwarded to the correct department; but the fact that there is something like that - something of a personal feel - I think thats something special.

I love Apple products. I just got an iPhone - relucatntly - I think the tarrif prices are expensive. And I lost a little respect for what seems like Apple money grabbing a bit - but when they offer services like this you really can see where money goes. +100 respect points :)

killerwhack

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Los Angeles, California
You have the right Idea

Computers and technology are no longer a "gee wiz" thing that eccentrics play with. Computers and technology are integeral parts of our lives and of the lives of a increasing number of people. Apple realizes this and realizes that when something goes wrong, it is very very frustrating and can be very time consuming to fix. Many consumers will simply "give up" if confronted with too much resistance.

So apple has opened hundreds of stores (convenientyly located) with people who can actually fix things. They are responsive to complaints and inquiries. They put more effort to design their products and software so that the average person can use them without having advanced degrees in electrical engineering. They make their products visually appealing. They include the features that people really want.

I don't work for Apple. They would not be willing to pay me enough but I thank them for what they are doing. They are ushering in huge segments of the consumer market into the digital age. Every time I go to an Apple store, it is packed with people who are shopping, experimenting, examining, ogling and just checking out their products. The sight amazes me!

If you want to see a sad place, go to the computer repair desk at any frys. Man oh man, what a sad place. There is a queue for the people to stand and wait with their broken hardware. The work benches are all out in open view with dis-emboweled PCs scattered about. It is the anti-thesis of Apple.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I guess I am missing something. Your problem started in August. It is now December and the problem is still not fixed? It is still under the 1 year warranty. It should have been fixed, or at the very least replaced back in August. 4 months to fix a problem to me is not good customer service.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
Fingers crossed - everything is okay at the moment with my Apple stuff but when it all goes to sh*t I must remember this magic e-mail address as I've found Apple's Customer Service to be as bad as it gets.

Although it's nice to get a biqwig call you and it gives you confidence that something is going to be done for you it's a pity Apple can't make stuff 99.9% reliable in the first place. They've been doing it for long enough now. Roland, Akai, Yamaha etc make really complicated high tech stuff and it works for ever.

killerwhack

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Fingers crossed - everything is okay at the moment with my Apple stuff but when it all goes to sh*t I must remember this magic e-mail address as I've found Apple's Customer Service to be as bad as it gets.

Although it's nice to get a biqwig call you and it gives you confidence that something is going to be done for you it's a pity Apple can't make stuff 99.9% reliable in the first place. They've been doing it for long enough now. Roland, Akai, Yamaha etc make really complicated high tech stuff and it works for ever.

I owned Dell laptops from about 1997 to 2003. In that period of time, their support (and build quality) went from wonderful to horrible. Compared to Dell in the horrible phase, Apple support is wonderful. Lets hope the Apple support does not get scrimped on but reading in the news that Apple is setting on $15 billion in cash that it does not know what to do with is comforting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.