Just got a PS3 for Christmas, what next?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gauchogolfer, Dec 30, 2009.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Hi all,
    OK, so I just got a PS3 for Christmas, totally unexpectedly. I put my Gamecube up in storage several months ago because it wasn't getting played (especially with a 2 year old in the house) but Santa seemed to think I needed to get gaming again. Here's what I've got so far: Uncharted (the first one), CoD MW2, and Madden 2010 (thanks Santa!). Also looking at picking up Fifa 10. I've figured out MediaLink to stream some stuff from iTunes which is nice.

So, what do I do next? I've set up a PS3 online account, but haven't gotten the nerve to go on there with my newbie self yet. Are there any particular mods or must haves that a newbie wouldn't necessarily know about?

I'm 33, married with a young child, so I don't anticipate spending tons of time in front of the TV with this. Any easy to pick up and play games that might get more other people involved?

Finally, I'm looking forward to browsing through the console section here once again to find out about games I should keep my eyes open for (like Assassin's Creed, for example?).

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

buy some decent blu ray films ;)
    buy littlebigplanet and let that be your first online foray ;) the people that play LBP are the nicest gamers i've ever played with, buy a 2nd controller, your wife might like LBP ;)
    oh and medialink can stream more then just iTunes stuff, if ya dig a little you can access all your computers HD's and providing it's supported, any music or video file ;)

3. Padraic macrumors regular

Congrats on the PS3! :D

For the easy to pick up game that might get other people involved, try LittleBigPlanet... It's a great game, multi-player is a treat, plus it has a huge on line community. Once you finish the main story line, there are thousands of user created levels (some not so good, some awesome) to try.

The games I have are LBP GOTY, Burnout Paradise, MGS4, Wipeout HD, Age of Booty, Critter Crunch, and Flower. I just purchased Uncharted (the first one, it came with an extra controller) and Borderlands, just waiting for them to come in the mail.

There are some good games on the PSN store, check out the demo's, they're free. :cool: Home is so-so... I go on there once in a blue moon just to see what's new, I just can't stand micropayment systems. I hate paying for virtual 'toys'.

I'm 36 and have three kids in the house, my 9 and 11 year old spend more time on the PS3 than I do...

Oh, and if you have one, pair a bluetooth headset to it, it makes online multiplayer so much better. Any bluetooth headset will work.

My PSN id is Padraic73, add me if you want...

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, congrats on your purchase...don't forget to check out the Playstation Store and check out the wonderful unique games up there like:

Flower
    Pixel Junk: Shooter, Monsters and Eden(Check the encore editions)
    Fat Princess(Multiplayer game but you gotta get your tool wet sometime ;) )
    Wipeout HD Fury

Also check out disc based games such as:

Uncharted 2
    Batman AA
    Infamous
    Ratchet and Clank TOD and A crack in time
    Little Big Planet(Game of the year edition)

If you like a challenge or a great rpg experience:

Demon's Souls
    Fallout 3 (Game of the year edition)

Enjoy...oh you can add me to your PSN list and I'll school you(and Ed) a few times in some online battles.

Bless

5. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

You go to the PSN store and buy everything with either "PixelJunk" or "Flow*" in the name. You'll end up with 6 games for roughly the price of a new full retail game, and have some of the best games on the system. All are very simple, but fun, pick up and play games. Problem solved. :D

6. uncleSmurf macrumors regular

uncleSmurf

Congrats, I got one on Christmas too unexpected as well. Still trying to figure out PSN also but if you like some action games so far I've found Batman:AA to be really fun, Assasin's Creed 2 is single player and it pretty addicting especially since I don't game too much. I also recently got Killzone 2 but I have not played it yet. I also just got that BT keyboard for the controller but I have not tried it yet I think any keyboard and headset that is BT will work though.

TimeRipper4u is my ID, same for 360. I don't game much though.

7. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I'm planning to get a PS 3 and the first game on my list is "Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition".

Bad luck, the price rose from $40 to $ 58 on Amazon within a three days just after Christmas.

8. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Flower is a must have from PSN, especially with a small kid.

The good thing about PS3 (or 360 for that matter) is that it's been out long enough now there are a TON of great AAA status titles that can be had for $30 or under with the Greatest Hits Versions.

Assassins Creed
    Burnout Paradise
    Both Resistance FOM's
    Ghostbusters
    Ratchet and Clank
    Infamous ($40 but worth it)

Those just scratch the surface. Anything in the red case is cheap and gauranteed to be quality since they have to sell over a million copies to qualify. I've been scarfing up all the old titles I missed this way and then when I stop playing them I sell them on Ebay for twelve or thirteen bucks and use that for a new game.

9. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Two words: Mon-tage!

Sorry, I had to, I love those commercials! On a serious note, it sounds as though you are off to a good start with all the above recommendations. Enjoy!