Just got a PS3 - some first impressions

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Cromulent, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

First of all we got the PS3 mainly as a media centre and not as console so I won't really be talking about gaming as such.

I like the dashboard it feels a lot faster than the new 360 dashboard which can get a little sluggish when you first turn it on. Having said that because I am so used to the 360 (I have had it for a couple of years now) I think the menus are better organised but I am sure that will change as I get used to the PS3.

I also got the PlayTV with the PS3 for watching and recording TV and I have to say that this little piece of kit really makes all the difference. It is easy to setup, easy to use and actually has pretty good quality. I'm in the process of recording my first program with it now so hopefully it all works out nicely. The next step is to find out how to transfer the recordings to my Mac for transcoding into a more Mac friendly format.

Having BBC iPlayer built in is certainly nice but feels a little odd, I'm sure they could have implemented that better but at least I can watch a couple of programs that I miss now in the comfort of the living room.

I think compared to other solutions the PS3 was a pretty good buy what with having a Blu-ray player and (with the PlayTV) being able to record and watch TV through it, it means that we can now get rid of our old hard drive recorder / DVD combo which was pretty poor in comparison and much harder to use.

Does anyone else use a PS3 for media purposes and does anyone have any tips for transferring recorded TV programs with PlayTV to a Mac?

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Hey i might be following the same path as you as since my 360 broke (e74 error) and i miss gaming more than i though i would. One quick question, did you get the regular PS3 or the new slim version, and with which size hard drive did you go with?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I use mine for many purposes; games, streaming movies etc.

What exactly is the format of PlayTV? Perian adds support for QuickTime for many popular formats and VLC supports almost all formats too

4. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

The real question is what is the best way to get the video from the PS3 to the Mac? It is currently connected via our wireless network.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

From the PS3 to the mac? Not sure it can be done that way round over network can it? U could always save the videos to an external storage device.

6. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Like a USB thumb drive? That might work I guess.

7. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Huzzah!

Copy the recorded TV programs from PlayTV to the XMB menu then from there copy them to a USB memory stick.

When you have it on your Mac use Handbrake to convert it to a format that will play in Quicktime / iTunes. Perfect system, I'm even more glad we got this system now.

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Or download VLC. It can play them natively I guess

10. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Except VLC can't share them over a local network like iTunes can :).