Just got a replacement, but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petrucci666, Jul 6, 2011.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

So I had an iPhone on Vipnet in Croatia, got it unlocked via them, came to the US a few months ago and have been using it on AT&T. Tonight I went to the Genius Bar because of a crappy battery and got a replacement iPhone.

Is my phone still unlocked?

I forgot to mention it to the Genius, and I have no way to check if my phone is still unlocked since I popped in my AT&T SIM card.

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The unlock should carry over to the new phone. If you're really concerned though, do a restore in iTunes. Instead of prompting you to insert a SIM card to activate, it should display a message saying something along the lines of, "Congratulatons, your iPhone is unlocked!".

Be sure to update us!

3. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did do a restore last night but I didn't get the 'Congratulations" screen saying that it was unlocked. I know what your talking about, but I just didn't show up when I restored it.

I'll go ahead and go to the Apple Store, I have the IMEI number of my old phone written down and it should appear on Apple's 'white list' and then they can unlock it for me. Shouldn't be a big issue.

I'll let you know what happens.

4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I don't think any Apple store will unlock a replacement U.S phone for you. Maybe they'll give you one those unlocked phones instead.

5. petrucci666, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm fine with anything, as long as the result is the same.

They should unlock it though because it was legally unlocked through them. Plus, now that they're selling unlocked phones, I'm sure they're more lenient towards unlocking, because I'm not technically unlocking an AT&T phone since it wasn't an iPhone issued by AT&T in the first place.

We won't know for sure until I see what they say. If worse comes to worst, I'll just ask for the old phone back, there wasn't anything too bad with it, it was just a crappy battery that lasted about 3.5 hours

6. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

For anyone that's interested - the unlock DID carry over. I went to the Genius Bar, they plugged it in and showed me that the phone was unlocked. Great stuff!

7. brdwygurl macrumors regular

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Glad to hear it. :) Just out of curiosity, after you restored with iTunes did it ask you to put in a SIM to activate the phone?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, even though unlocked it still needs a sim to activate.
    That will change after 5.0 comes out.