Just Got a Replacement iPhone but not 5k Serial #

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Sep 16, 2009.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I just got a replacement iPhone from the Genius Bar (came in a white box, not an original box) b/c the battery on my new 3GS crapped out. I've seen most of the people who got replacements here have a serial that begins with 5K but mine begins with 889XXXXXXXX. Does anyone know what this means? Is it refurbished or new?

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

3. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

888xxx are iphones for the spanish market, but I don't know what 889 is.. I'd say you got a new one, not a refurb.

4. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

It has been posted here before, refurbs come with both 5-based and 8-based serial numbers. It is possible you got a new one, but it's probably a refurb. Check the warranty information and see when the warranty was started on it.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

5. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

It says "Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
    Expires: June 17, 2010"

But I think this is just based on when my original warranty was going to expire. I don't think it changes when they replace the phone, it just goes on the same account as the old one.

6. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Oh, true. In my case, my phone was replaced on July 18th, and my warranty was set to expire on July 28th, so my warranty was extended 3 months. I forgot about the "3 months or end of original warranty, whichever is longer" part.

My problem is, when I put the serial of my current phone in, it comes up out of warranty, even though it's covered 3 months from July 18th, until October 18th.

7. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

The genius bar receipt that you should have received has the new warranty information on it...