Just got a returned, but sealed iPad2. Should I be wary?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by impact_blue, Mar 30, 2011.

1. impact_blue, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

impact_blue macrumors regular

Target script pinged me that a local Target had one in stock. When I got there they had only one of the model I was looking for so I asked if it was a return. They said yes, but it's sealed new. I paused and said eff it and bought it.

Now as im driving, I'm thinking why did the person return it :confused: At the moment Im wary to open it because the lady said they wouldn't except open iPads for refunds. Is there any reason I should worry?

Also what's the official return policy for iPad2 at Target. I heard 90 days unopen no restock fee. What about opened? Can someone please confirm? Thanks :)

2. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

I'm not to sure about targets return policy, but if you have an apple store near you, they'll take care of it for you if you have any problems with it.

3. ldobson macrumors regular

Maybe it got dropped so the person returned it, you wont know until you open it. Did they charge you full retail for it?

4. ral14 macrumors newbie

Target return

I wouldn't worry one bit about it. I bought 2 Ipads at Target last week, because I figured I'd sell one of them on Craigslist and make a little extra money. I kept having to lower the price, and no one was even interested at $550! It was the white 16gb wifi only unit. So I just returned it to the store. No questions asked. I'm sure a lot of people had to do the same thing, as they are more readily available.

5. ral14 macrumors newbie

target return

By the way.. I returned it to the Target in Woburn, MA, in case thats' where you got yours!

6. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

As long as you didn't buy it from FRYs your fine. They have (at least the store I dealt with does) a shrink wrap machine in the back they re-seal returned open items with and turn around and sell them back as new. (Don't ask me how I know ;)) I refuse to buy a pack of batteries from that shade tree. I don't believe Target participates in such shady business practices so I think your fine.
    A lot of people got them online but couldn't wait so they rushed out to buy one in the store. My guess is the person got too impatient and rushed out to buy it but realized it wasn't the model they wanted.

7. impact_blue thread starter macrumors regular

Hahha I hear horror stories all the time from former FRYs employees how shady that store is haha!

Anyways I do hope nothing is wrong with it. Im am getting conflicting accounts on the return policy. One target says 90days for both open/unopen, another just upopen. :confused: Got this one at the Bristol Target Blacklabel :p

8. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Eek. Run and hide from the scalping ranters!

Jokes aside, OP, I'm sure it's fine if it is sealed. If not, the store will look after you. If not Target, the Apple store will.

9. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Probably too late now, but I would have bought it and then opened it there right in front of them.

It wouldn't be too hard for someone to purchase one then open the box and take it out and put something else in and re-shrinkwrap it and return it.

10. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Isn't that illegal under US Consumer Protection laws or whatever?

11. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

I was a manager at a Circuit City for 5 years. You'd be surprised at how often that happens. People would LITERALLY put bricks in boxes, then return it. It would look sealed, so the CSR didn't know any different. Then, when it would be resold.. the the new owner would open at see a brick or whatever else. Sometimes it was hard to separate the honest people with brick from the dishonest. Crazy situations though...

12. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

It could have been exposed to high doses of gamma radiation thereby endangering your welfare and those around you.

13. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

OR.. It could give you.......
    [​IMG]

14. FutureStan macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

If Target doesnt take it back then any Apple store will. Let us know what happens :p

15. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

This is probably why when you return stuff, they take down all your info now. I actually had something similar happen with a pack of dual layer DVDs I bought at walmart. I got them home and went to use them and they had been replaced with regular blank CDs. I took them back to walmart and they didn't give me any problems but there was no way I was paying 10 bucks for 3 blank CDs.

16. huskerchad macrumors regular

Maybe his wife told him no. :)

Lots of legitimate reasons something would be returned. I ended up with two because I ordered one from Apple but found one at Target while it was in transit. Ended up selling the second to a co-worker, but if I hadn't, one would have gone back.

Bottom line is, you have a full warranty from one of the most customer satisfaction-oriented technology companies in existence. Nothing to worry about.

17. foodle macrumors 6502

If it had been dropped hard enough to damage the iPad, the box would have been damaged too.

18. foodle macrumors 6502

If you're really worried, just video yourself opening the box. If there's anything shady going on (brick inside, etc.) the video should be enough evidence that a target manager will do the right thing.

19. foodle macrumors 6502

Maybe her husband told her no :D

20. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

that's why they keep the shrink wrap machine in the back ... OP I wouldn't worry

21. haagenman macrumors newbie

You are SO right about Fry's. What a scummy place that it. And, YES, they do re-shrink-wrap open box returned items and re sell them as NEW!

22. joec1101 macrumors 6502

It could have been returned just because someone found a different model/color that they wanted instead of the one they returned. I did this myself yesterday - a few hours after finding a white 64gb att model at Target, I found the model I *really* wanted which was a black 64gb att model at Best Buy. I returned the white model to Target today. While I was at Best Buy, some guy was there doing the same thing as well. So if it's sealed, chances are it's just fine.

23. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Be careful i accidentally pee'd on my ipad and returned it to target......where do you live?

24. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Apple does not take returns for items purchased elsewhere. They honor warranties and will replace defective units, but they don't take returns.