Just got a second monitor....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sou1 so1di3r, Aug 6, 2008.

1. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I just bought a 22" monitor to hook up to my macbook.... and I plugged it in with the DVI-D adapter. It looks sick!

But:

I'm not really sure how it all works...

When I plug it in, my laptop thinks it is connected to 2 monitors and has them as dual displays, and then when I put my laptop to sleep and open it again the screen is blank on the macbook but the monitor has my dock now... which is what I like.

I just don't know how you choose between dual display and one image on the big screen. Is it just random or do I just keep sleeping my macbook to get what I want?

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

If you want to use your external display as your "sole" display, you will need an external keyboard and mouse.

When you put the Macbook to sleep (closing the lid) you can wake it up (without opening the lid) by typing a key on the keyboard or clicking the mouse.

Another way to do this is when you restart or cold boot...

Make sure the monitor is on.
    Press the power button on the MB and immediately close the lid. Within a few seconds your external display should light up and start showing the boot process. Then just use the external keyboard and mouse to control your mac.

3. iChrisG macrumors member

Hmm...I think when you put your MacBook into sleep mode, it goes into Desktop mode so your Dock goes onto your External Display. Then when you open your MacBook it goes into Dual Display (which I am currently using and I like) Maybe also try going to System Prefrences.

Good Luck!

-Chris

4. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Used to be F7 on Powerbook to toggle between views - the button had a picture of two rectangles one behind the other. Otherwise go into System Preferences and select Displays. Should be able to change the relationship between displays here - make one the top and one the bottom or one the left side and one the right. I always found it very useful.

5. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Mmmm Kickass!

I already have an external keyboard and mouse, so I'm set! Thanks!!:D