Just got a secondary storage SSD for my MBP i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by milan03, Sep 28, 2010.

1. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Ok so I just decided to get double SSD setup in my MBP.
    Boot Drive is gonna be OWC 240GB Pro and it goes in HDD bay. It's on its way.
    Secondary drive is Apple's 512GB SSD which I just received today. That's for all the raw files, samples etc. Crucial when working on huge FCP or Logic sessions.
    My company happened to have one Mac Pro 512 SSD that didn't need and they decided to let me use it. It came in a really nice brushed aluminium shell, made "only" for Mac Pros ready to be in one of four bays.
    I had to unscrew two screws on the side in order to pop the baby out, and as I expected it's a Toshiba drive. Not really the fastest SSD out there, but I figured it's still gonna be better than any HDD for what I'm doing.
    This way instead of having one SSD and one spinning HDD, I'm hoping to extend my battery, squeeze every ounce out of my i7 MBP and ultimately have the best possible user experience on my mac.
    Here are some unboxing photos, enjoy! :)

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      80.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      86.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      90.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

3. milan03 thread starter macrumors 6502

milan03

Very simple. First off, I'll be running two totally different SSD's, different controllers, didn't wanna mix apples and oranges. Secondly, I need a large storage for all the samples, Logic stuff, FCP, etc, and that HAS to be on a separate drive for performance issues. So I'll let only my boot stuff and apps run on OWC for pure speed, and 512GB will be dedicated scratch drive for all the projects.
    Just to note that one of the main reasons for this setup is live performances where I have to pull huge samples and trigger them over MIDI with zero latency and hard drive popping sounds. All that sometimes with massive tracks in real time. So all I wanna lug is my 15" HR/AG i7 mbp and apogee duet when I'm touring. No matter what kinds of crappy keyboards I get to play, I'll always have the best possible sound.