Just got a spam SMS???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone529, Aug 14, 2009.

1. iphone529 macrumors regular

Check out this text. WTF is this? SPAM?

Attached Files:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Please tell me you sent 'd' back. :D

It's a message from an IM client sent to your SMS? Hmm...

3. iphone529 thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't respond, and before anyone suggests this, it is not fake.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

they work me and my friend talk like that. Im on a iPhone texting and him on his pc.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

people can spam AIM easily. If you're set up to get your IMs via txt, that's all that's happened here. I don't see what's so surprising/shocking.

6. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

If i was you, I would dial "611" (AT&T Customer Support) on my iPhone and report the text to AT&T. They will investigate it. I reported a telemarketer to them once and they investigated it. It's no cost to you. You might as well call AT&T and report it.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Why? If he has his AIM set to forward as text - AT&T isn't responsible for anything.

If you're logged into AIM - once in awhile you get solicitation IMs. Yes - you can and should report them to AOL.

If you're getting random txt messages in general (not from AIM) that's a different matter.

8. Harman M macrumors member

your dumb friend or someone found out your number and punched it into aim. deal with it.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That was my immediate thought. That it was some friend of his playing around with him.

10. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Set it so only people on your contact list can IM your phone. Problem solved.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

DO NOT REPLY.

Replying *anything* only confirms to them that this is a real phone number. The "choice" to opt out is an illusion.

12. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Uh, seriously? I used to have the AIM app and received IM's as text messages and it looked like this. Obviously, anyone could retype the whole "a to accept, etc." thing but AIM sends it's IM's like this.

13. outphase macrumors 65816

They key is the short code used. Note the beginning 265. Look at a keypad. Oh look, AOL = 265 :)

14. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

That's when somebody Texted you from their computer using AIM, or if you had messages forwarded to you.

It's no spam. If you say you want to recieve it, it'll send you another text saying the actual message. The choice is there because it lets you see the username of the other person. If it's somebody you know, accept it, if it's not, I'd accept it, but whatever floats your boat.

Bottom line, it's not spam.

15. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    This isn't spam, it might be a friend trying to IM your through their computer. It sucks though, IMO because there is always lag, and their username is a part of the 160 characters. :rolleyes:

16. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Not spam.
    You can send someone a txt on their phone from AIM by sending a message to their phone number, preceded by a + symbol. That is what the first message looks like when the recipient receives it. All others (from that single sender) will come through as normal if the recipient accepts the first one.

Ex: +13238675309

17. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Thats jsut someone trying to test you using their computer AIM account. I do it to my friends in the states all the time.

In Japan is where you get the Spam Texts :s. I get two a day!

-Omi