just got a SR MBP, regardless

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by espressoroast, Feb 3, 2008.

1. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

Hello everyone,
    I'm a long time lurker but this is my first post;

I've been wanting to get a Mac laptop since the first time I was shopping for a PC of my own but the timing was never right, first, I know they were going to switch to Intel then when I was just about to buy a new laptop, someone gifted me an HP and so on,

But after waiting for more than 5 years to jump over to the civilized side of personal computing, I have finally got myself a MacBook Pro. She's a 2.2 with a 160gb Hd and I've upped the RAM to 4GB via Crucial.

I know there will be an update very soon and normally my inner geek would have never bought this model, but I really feel that this is a good enough machine. Both performance wise, I do photo editing on CS3 besides daily tasks and just occasional gaming, and design wise. Even if Apple changes the look of the Pros, I already feel like I own a design classic, so definitely no problems there.

I just wanted to thank you all for providing the support through various stages of my research and orientation. (Now, have I made this post so long because I love to type on the backlit keyboard so much? =)

All the best from Amsterdam...

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Bully for you. You'll have a computer to use that won't work any less well when something newer comes out. And there's no telling when something newer will come out.

3. elcid macrumors 6502

Its a great computer. You can put a lot of RAM in it and you arent going to be missing much. A switch in processor and maybe the new trackpad, you wont be disappointed once you have it in your hands for a day :)

Welcome to MR

4. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

WOW I am so happy to hear someone made a decision based on Needs? That machine is ACE, and will treat you well so long as you do the same.

Cheers

5. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Congrats. I just got mine a couple of days ago but needed mine immediately for work and school and didn't want to wait any longer. Even if they release one this coming Tuesday I don't think I will return mine to get a new one since this base MacBook Pro is good enough for what I need.

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Good choice. And welcome to the forums! That mbp is a screamer!

Any new updates will just be Penryn and the multi touch track pad...you won't be missing anything huge.

Edit - that is my speculation only. But at MWSF, Jobs described the MBP as best in its class so....he didn't make it sound like it was lacking in anything - therefore I don't anticipate the next update to be huge.

7. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

Welcome to macrumors.

And good choices on the machine!

8. khunxhor macrumors member

sorry to butt in, but whats an "SR" macbook/macbook pro??

Ive seen this so many times, and read somewhere its a "Santa Rosa" mb/mbp....

is it some sort of limited edition something?.. or something else thats special about it??

is my mb an SR macbook?(2.2 c2d white)

like ive said before, im a new mac user and am not too caught up on terminology yet.

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

SR = Santa Rosa :) It's the newer type of "platform" from Intel I think. Nothing limited about it. It's just easier to type SR than Santa Rosa (yeah, we're lazy...).

When did you buy your macbook? The newer models are SR.

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

SR is a chipset codename. Its the newest chipset, 965 Series for notebook PCs using an Intel CPU. If you have the newest generation, 2.0/2.2/2.2 Series Macbook (X3100 video card), then you have a SR(Santa Rosa) macbook.

11. khunxhor macrumors member

december 22 07

Thank you!

12. harrymohan macrumors member

If you bought it after Oct 2007 (Late Macbook 2007) with 4 MB cache its Santa Rosa!!

Intel Processors are named after California Cities like Santa Rosa, Penryn etc etc. Last Updated notebooks have Santa Rosa code named processors with 4 MB cache, Penryn willl have 4,6,8 MB cache!!

13. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Good for you - i like a man who knows what he wants :D

You've bought yourself a terrific machine which should serve you well for years - enjoy!

14. harrymohan macrumors member

Hahaha so we all know now, we have a female between us!! :D:D:D:D hahahaha!! Sys Admin Geeky :eek::eek:

15. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Yep, looks like you have a SR on your hands.

I never knew that about the California cities! Nice factoid, thanks!

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The older Core 2 Duo processors have 4MB L2 Cache also.