Just got a unibody Macbook with a 500 gig drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ctt1wbw, May 9, 2010.

1. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Well, I haven't gotten it yet, maybe in a week or so. I want to install Windows 7 on it via Boot Camp. I've never done that before and I have some questions.

Do all the normal ports work, like RDP? I bought Jump for my iPad and wish to continue using it.

And how about antivirus stuff? Should you still have that on the Windows 7 partition or no?

And I have all my iTunes apps and movies and music on the Windows 7 laptop I have now. I have a scheduled back up running every night onto my home server. When I put Windows 7 on my Macbook, can I just run a restore from that backup onto my Macbook and continue using my iTunes library from the Windows partition and not the OS X partition?

Thanks for help guys.

2. andymodem macrumors 6502a

All the normal functionality of Windows 7 will be there when you bootcamp it.

For antivirus, download Microsoft's Security Essentials, it's free and it works great.

Don't know about the iTunes situation, someone else should be able to chime in.

3. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Common sense is great for anti-virus.

You can share your files between your mac partition and windows partition.

4. ctt1wbw thread starter macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I currently use MSE, MalwareBytes AntiMalware, and common sense already. Works great.

I did notice however that when I had to switch laptops before to the Sony I'm using now, I did a restore from a previous backup and all the apps from iTunes were backed up and even restored correctly. So I am assuming that the two movies I've purchased will do the same thing.

And out of curiosity, do you have to reboot from OS X to access Windows via Bootcamp? Sort of like a GRUB menu, or does Windows run on something like VMWare or Parallels? Sorry if that was a dumb question, I've never used Bootcamp before. I've been to boot camp, though.

5. NGL macrumors member

Bootcamp works by booting into the OS of choice, so you do indeed have to restart. When you power up your computer or restart it, hold the option key until after the chime, and you'll get a simple menu asking you which you'd like to boot into, OS X partition or Windows partition. Use arrow keys to select the one you want, then press enter, and it boots into that OS.

-Nick

6. ctt1wbw thread starter macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Is that Apple's version of GRUB? Or is it GRUB itself?