Just got a UPS Backup, question about software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SRLMJ23, May 12, 2016.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

So I just bought a APC Brand-UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) and I can connect the UPS straight to my computer via FireWire to USB BUT APC does not make OS X Software, like they do for Windows. So I am wondering if anyone knows of any Third-Party software that is trustworthy for OS X?

I really appreciate your help, and just want to say thank you in advance!

:apple:

2. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

You don't need software for a UPS on a Mac. After you connect the USB cable from the UPS to your Mac, in System Preferences under Energy Saver you can configure the computer to safely shutdown when the UPS reaches a certain level.

3. chscag macrumors 68000

Have you tried plugging the USB cable from your APC UPS to your Mac? I have a brand new APC UPS and all I did was plug the USB cable from the UPS to my iMac, open System Preferences, Energy Saver. The UPS appeared in Energy Saver and the adjustment options along with it for setup. You do not need APC software.

4. SRLMJ23, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016

SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Under the Energy Saver settings for UPS, it only gives me the option to set how many minutes go by before shutting down the display and also gives me a checkbox to dim the display when on UPS power. I wonder why I am not getting the option for the shutdown?

Edit: Yes, I connect the UPS to my computer from FireWire (which is on the UPS) to USB on my MacBook Pro. I just bought this MacBook Pro, brand new less than a week ago so I am in the "babying" stage, hence, why I do not want to install any software that has not been proven to work. I am sure you can relate to when you get a brand new Mac, you baby it for a little while.

5. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Any of you guys have any clue why I am not getting the options you are getting? Thanks again!

6. chscag macrumors 68000

What model APC UPS do you have? My APC UPS is brand new and displays all options. I'm thinking that maybe your model does not offer the shutdown option. Although I admit that would be unusual because even my old UPS that I just replaced offered the shutdown option. Another thought... maybe the conversion from firewire to USB is preventing the shutdown option? Does your UPS have a direct USB output you can try instead of the firewire one?

7. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

The reason is quite simple - you're using a MacBook Pro! The Energy Saver options are different for desktop and laptop computers. Since your MacBook Pro has a "built-in UPS" (battery), you won't have the shutdown option.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I was just going to post almost the same as ApfelKuchen.
    You have a portable, which, by design, would run on battery if the mains power goes out.
    A UPS is not a terribly useful gadget when you already run on battery natively.

Hook it up to a desktop Mac, such as an iMac, and you will see the UPS options.

9. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I actually bought it more for the networking aspect of it. I hook my modem up to it, run the ethernet through the APC "Network Battery Backup" and that way if the power goes out I will still have cable internet since cable still works even if the power is out. I honestly completely just overlooked the fact that I would not get that feature because I am on a MacBook Pro. Oh well, small things go over our heads all the time! Thank you though for your help!