Just got a used mbp & need advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RUGGLES99, Feb 9, 2015.

1. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

Hi, all.
    This is my first post here so bear with me. I just bought my first Mac...a used MBP. It's a 2010-2011 15.4" 2.53 ghz i5, 4gb ram running Yosemite 10.10 with a 500 gb hybrid drive. It was an apple leased unit that was refurbed by apple techs and everything is supposedly new inside. It comes with a 90 day warranty. I paid $750. First of all, did I pay way too much, ouch. Also any suggestions on what more I can do in terms of upgrading, and is it worth upgrading. Mainly, for productivity, I'm going to be writing. It comes with 2013 IWorks, so Pages, but I'm used to MS Word for Mac. Is a Pages document easy to convert to Word doc. And what freebie word compatible program do you guys recommend. I do have a copy of word for mac 2004, but I think its too old for this system. Am I correct? In any case, all answers most appreciated.

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

You should probably post in the Macbook sub forum, this is for the Mac Pro.

3. Waragainstsleep macrumors regular

It won't be 'new inside' thats not how its done. If anything, they tend to replace the outer casings to make things look like new. The guts will have been thoroughly tested for reliability though if you bought from a reputable place.

I am not aware of Apple refurbishing anything this old themselves but it could well have been done by qualified people from a 3rd party shops ex lease-kit.

Pages will easily export to word, just use "Export" instead of Save from the file menu.
    I think you're right that Office 2004 is too old nowadays. You can get the current one for a few bucks per month via Office 365 if you really want it.

As for upgrades, the machine should be perfectly adequate for writing purposes but with 10.10 you might want to invest in a little extra RAM. You can double it for very little outlay, should be fine with 8GB.