Just got a Wii!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by J@ffa, Apr 26, 2008.

1. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Hey all. My house just gained a Nintendo Wii, and it's brilliant. Just got a few questions:

1. Is it really only 802.11b? It was bought new just a few days ago, and had trouble connecting it to an 802.11g base station. I didn't have time to sort it out at the time, but when I get home today I'll switch it to 802.11b/g only. Only one problem with that— I know that the speed only drops to b when a device goes onto it, but I wonder whether the Wii behaves like an XBox 360 does, and receives updates and so forth when powered but not on in the stricter sense.
    2. What are the best games? Just been enjoying Wii Sports, I've had a quick go at everything except Boxing and Baseball and it's so much fun I might never play another, hehe. Mario Kart is most certainly a definite; any others?
    3. What can I do to this, given that I can muck about with it once it's online? I saw Wii Transfer... I'll have a go of it but is there anything else, or better?
    4. Is getting the component HD cable worth it?

Ta :D

2. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I would pick up a component cable. I don't have an HDTV, but going from RCA to component made a huge difference.

Other games to consider:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Super Smash Bros: Brawl
    Excite Truck
    Wii Play (for the extra controller)

There are more, of course, but these are my favorites.

Enjoy!

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

1. Isn't it G? I think it's just the DS that's B.

2. Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Metroid Prime 3 (though it's a bit linear), Smash Bros, WiiFit, No More Heroes, Excite Truck all tickled my pickle.

3. No idea!

4. Yes

4. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Zack and Wiki. Now.

Also get Super Smash Bros Brawl if your not in Europe.

Last, but not least, get Okami. Also now.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Wii does remain connected over WiFi when "off" (when there's a yellow light). If you hold the power button on the actual system till the light runs red, it will not be connected over WiFi (verses turning it off using the controller).

Super Smash Bros Brawl is my game of the year already. :D Best multiplayer game ever.

Super Mario Galaxy is a must have.

Also, Zelda: Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 are excellent single player games.

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

My personal favorites are:
    Resident Evil 4
    Okami
    Zelda: TP
    Metroid Prime 3

And of course Galaxy, BWii, and others are so much fun.

<]=)