just got ACD 23"... disappointed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chelsel, Mar 9, 2008.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

I was going back and forth on a new monitor decision and so far I've been pretty happy with Apple products... so I decided to get the Apple 23" instead of a top of the line NEC or Dell... However, after using the Apple 23" I'm pretty disappointed for the following:

- No height adjustability
    - Sparkly and grainy appearance to display
    - Combined power/video/usb/firewire mother of all cables is an abomination
    - Expandability joke... better off not adding a firewire or usb hub because you effectively only get 1 extra port

I really think Apple could do a lot better than this... it's a shame that I have to now buy an NEC or Dell to get a decent display :-(

Cliff.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

all but the display itself could've been found out rather easily prior to purchase.

sorry that its not what you wanted, it doesn't fit the bill for everyone, and many people do get dell or other branded displays

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Why did you buy it when all these points were evident from the specs page?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm going to have to agree with the previous posts. It baffles me why or how people can spend so much on something and then walk around bitching about it. Is it a surprise to anyone that the ACD doesn't have height adjustment capabilities? Show of hands. Is it any surprise that it lacks all the nice ports a Dell has? Really now. Return it and get the highly capable and very nice Dell 24". I love my ACD but it is indeed not for everyone and I happened to READ the spec page prior to tossing the card on the counter. I'm funny like that. :)

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

6. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

I would have loved to spend some time with the display in person but the Apple store is always too crowded (Boca Raton, FL) to really get in there and try things out, especially with two infants in tow. So, I've relied on mostly written reviews to come to an opinion... I guess the things that I care about (ergonomics and wires) don't bother the reviewers as these seemingly important issues are mostly glossed over.

Anyway, bought at Best Buy so it's an easy return...

7. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yeah, just as easy as it was to look at the display at BB. You post is all BS, you have no one but yourself to hold accountable for your purchases. :p

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's a good outcome then. As a friendly suggestion before you take a trip back with the infants to return it, make sure you remember to check out the basic specs of the NEC or DELL LCDs you're interested in. That way you won't be disappointed again and you won't have to take another trip :).

10. gotzero macrumors 68040

Height? I solved it with a pair of these which are fantastic, and match the ACDs very well. I often use one 23" ACD twisted into portrait mode and rotated toward the couch displaying Digg Labs Big Spy and realtime opinion polls when we watch political debates. I think they are a must have for the 23" ACD.

Grainy? Sure they are, but just wait until you are looking at them for 16 hour sessions with a noticeable lack of fatigue. To me, the displays are beautiful in a subdued way, I am not pushed back from my seat by artificially vibrant color...

Cable? The cable sucks, completely. I could not agree with you more, this is an oversight by Apple. The one cable is nice, but the breakout at the end needs to be AT LEAST twice as long. I wonder what people with Mac Pros do with these power supplies, because it seems like they would be hanging in the air!

11. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

mine hang behind my desk. ******.

12. gibbz macrumors 68030

In all fairness to the OP, sometimes you just don't know until you get it home and try it out in your setting. Just like TVs don't always look the same in the store as when you bring it home. Give the OP a break. He bought what was a reviewed as a good product, didn't like it, and shared his experience.

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Clearly you're not getting enough of the Jobs Reality Distortion Field rays. The Apple-deluded "reviews" are the truth! A pilgrimage to Cupertino should sort out this aberration.

14. Nordichund macrumors 6502

LOL :D

Actually after recently having the 24" Al iMac and changing over to a Mac Pro with a 23" ACD, I have to say how comfortable the ACD is on the eyes after the Al Mac's BLING.
    I don't think there is any question that there are better monitors out there. I guess at the end of the day it depends on what you are going to use it for and what your own personal preferences are. In my case I certainly don't regret buying the 23" ACD. I'll certainly never buy a glossy iMac again.

15. Snips macrumors regular

I just bought a 20" ACD, and think it's great (though admittedly expensive) and that cable does suck.

I actually found it very difficult to find out much about the cable until I bought it. I knew I needed a mini-DVI converter for my MacBook, but it wasn't clear what came in the box, and I had to ask at my local Apple Store.

The displays in store don't make it any clearer what the standard cabling is.

The unsightly mini-DVI cable convertor sat on the desk next to the MacBook isn't very :apple: :mad:

Also, what looks like a relatively small display in a store alongside larger displays and in a wide open store area can seem much larger once it's in your home! :eek:

Display is awesome though.

Nige

16. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

I'd like to thank the OP for pointing out features that I should look for in my search for a new monitor. This is what's so good about forums, you get so many different perspectives. Sometimes there is a huge gap between theory and actual practice.

17. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

18. billabong macrumors 6502

I've had mine for just about a year and love it...

19. MacPM8 macrumors regular