Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
Here's the deal:

Just got a new iMac with Airport Extreme built in. I bought Airport Express last night so I could stream iTunes to my stereo. [Not using it for internet, as my iMac is hooked up to a cable modem via ethernet port.] My stereo has an optical out port in the back (I've used this before with DVD players to get stereo sound, so I know it works), so I also bought an optical cable with toslink to bridge between A/E and my stereo. I set everything up, my computer recognized the A/E, and showed it as being connected, but nothing';s coming out of the speakers! Does anyone have any suggestions? The iMac is in the living room and stereo (where the A/E is) is in the bedroom, about 20 feet away. I was so looking forward to this working! :(

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
Did both

doumbek said:
I don't know if you did this already, but look on the bottom of your iTunes window and switch from computer to the airport express.

Also, make sure you have checked off look for remote speakers in iTunes preferences.

And it looks like it's working. Shows iTunes "connecting", and the music is playing, sound turned up on iTunes and my stereo, but no go:(
Apple support said it may be an incompatiblity issue with the cables (even though I purchased them at The Apple Store, and the box claims it's perfect for Airport Express!). Ugh. So frustrating!

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I'm assuming that MOST people here have an iPod...

Try plugging the cable (that's currently connecting your Airport Express to your stereo) into the line-out on your iPod (or dock) and see if you get any sound... at least then you can rule out any potential cable connection problem.

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
find the bug

as suggested before, plus some more...

-try different inputs on your stereo's selector switch
-try the cable with another source
-try the cable directly from your computer to the stereo (mini jack connection)
-you should be connecting to an audio in, not out
-can a/e support an optical cable???

my a/e is connected with a standard cable (not optical) and no problem.

it should work and will work, once you get it right:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.