Just got an Apple Cinema Display... Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sdahe, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello guys,

I got today an Apple Cinema Display to use with my Macbook Pro but the box didn't have any CD in it and I think I have to install something to use it with my MBP. Right now the colors look different from the MBP display... Help!!!

2. whatisthe macrumors member

I'm pretty sure no cd's come with the display. You don't have to install anything. Just go to system preferences, displays, and click the color tab and calibrate each display so that they have similar color profiles. It will be hard to get them to look identical but you can get them pretty close. If the displays are older then the older one will generally look more yellowish, as I have an older 20" and a new 30" and the 20" looks really burnt compared to the new one.

3. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I got the display today and came home now to use it for the first time... It doesn't look very sharp... :(

4. whatisthe macrumors member

Are you sure the resolution is set to the native resolution? If it's not things will appear more larger and more pixelated.
    Sharpness and color are two completely different things for displays.

5. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Yes, youll either have to go into preferences and calibrate it, or buy a colorimeter to calibrate your screen, but that will run you $50+.

And make sure you're running the right resolution, and not 680x400 or something lol.

6. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well... right now is at 1920x1200

The monitor make the colors very strong... specially the color blue and greens... it doesn't look like the monitor they have in Best Buy connected to a MBP like mine

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if the same thing is displayed on both the Cinema Display and MacBook Pro's display its in Mirroring mode so press command-F1 to view as Extended Desktop Mode.

then if you want the Cinema Display to be the main display drag the white bar from the smaller blue box to the bigger blue box under Arrangment in Display preferences.

8. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

This is strange.... When I clicked command+F1 the Cinema Display got nice and sharp... but when I have the monitor in mirror it looks kind of blurry!!!... does this means I have to use it as an extended monitor so it looks sharp?

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ yes in Extended mode that is the native resolution of the Cinema Display. that is how you should use it. in Mirroring mode the Cinema Display is the same resolution as the MacBook and it mirrors everything you do which is annoying IMO. Mirroring is only really useful for connecting to a projector for presentations.

pro tip: you can also connect your MacBook when its closed. this is called Clamshell Mode. close the MacBook and it will sleep. then connect the power cord, DVI cable and a USB keyboard/mouse and it will wake up displaying only to the Cinema Display. if you have a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse make sure you allow bluetooth devices to wake your computer in Keyboard preferences.

10. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Is there another way to calibrate my new Cinema Display without buying something extra?

The only problem I'm having is with the colors... they look with more saturation than in the MBP... is there a way to fix this... to make it look like in the MBP?

11. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

system preferences-display-color-calibrate

12. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

yes... I know it's there but I did the easy calibration not the expert mode... I guess that's the one I have to do...:eek:

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just put it on 2.2 Gamma thats what most of the internets is in these days anyway.

14. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Yes... that's where I have it.... thanks!!!

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sorry i didnt read your reply in post #10. if you set both the MacBook's and the Cinema Display's gamma to 2.1 thats the closest your going to get them to match without expert calibration with Calibration Assistant or with a calibration device.

16. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Thanks... I'll see how it comes out !!!

17. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

mine says 2.2 television gamma. Is that the correct one?

18. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I have to be very carefull with the color profile because I'm going to use the monitor as my main monitor for photo edition so I have to be sure it's well calibrated.. I will try to do an expert mode calibration and if I don't see any improvement.. I will need to get some of those things to to do it..

Another thing is... there is a small white light at the right and bottom of the cinema... is always blinking.. what does that means?

19. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Monitor is sleeping?

Also, try http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/

20. MGLXP macrumors regular

Someone on the [H]ardforum posted a calibration file made with the Spyder3, it can be found here. I find that although the default profile is pretty good, this profile makes the colour a little better.

21. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

That is very nice... one of my friends send me his calibration file too but I don't know how to install it in my computer... do you know how?

22. MGLXP macrumors regular

Drag the ColorSync profile to /Users/YourUserName/Library/ColorSync/Profiles, then go to System Preferences->Displays->Color, uncheck the box that says Show Profiles for This Display Only, then search for the profile, DONE!

23. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Thanks!!!...

Here is how my new working station looks... ;)

[​IMG]

I was in the Apple Store that's in San Juan, P.R. and I asked one of the girls there that I was looking for something to calibrate my ACD. She said they didn't have that but then she said that my new ACD had more saturation because the quality Vs the MBP's monitor was better... is that true?

24. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Another question.... can I make my MBP shut down when I click on the monitor's shut down button?

25. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

Is there a shut down button on the monitor?