Just got an HDTV, question about SD DVD

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gauchogolfer, Jul 18, 2007.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

So today, after what seemed like an interminable wait, my nice new HDTV arrived at my home. I've been getting it hooked up, and noticed an issue. I've currently got my regular old DVD player connected via analog video and audio. While watching movies, I notice some stuttering/striping of the image. Is this because analog isn't a good choice for my 42" 1080p display? I'm going to be getting component video cables tomorrow to see if that makes things better, but I wanted to see if this seemed like the answer.

Basically, before I get rid of the huge box I'd like to know if this seems like something that could be a defect with my TV. If not, please let me know (and reduce my current worriedness level :p).

Thanks in advance.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This hasn't been an issue with either of our LCDs, I've used composite sources on both, and while they look "blocky" from scaling from ~640x480 to 720p, they were no noticeable artifacts from a distance.

What are you ultimately planning to use as your main source of programming for the TV?

B

3. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Thanks B.

I'm planning on going with Cox HD cable service as the main source, and will probably buy an up-converting DVD player that will support HDMI in the future. Until then I was planning on getting the component cables to see if that helped with the picture quality. Maybe I just need to play around with the picture settings in the TV itself. For example, I'm reading now that it has dynamic brightness control based on the environment around it. Maybe I need to turn these dynamic things off. Lots to learn with these newfangled things.

FWIW, I have the Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p LCD.

Edit: I think I'll give a look at the DVD output options as well, since my Gamecube doesn't appear to have any of the same issues, using a similar connection. Maybe I'm doing something funny at the DVD player end of things.

4. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Well, after a little futzing around with settings on my DVD player (like enabling progressive scan and setting the default to be 16:9 aspect ratio), things look pretty good. I went ahead and got the component cables anyways, and the color looks pretty good.

I'm happy now. :)