Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davecerva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
I've always wanted this machine and I finally found one in great condition and runs good for $120 with:
15" screen
1.00 GHz
2GB RAM
80GB HD

I had to get the keyboard, mouse, and speakers separate of course but I found them all and original too.
But there is a problem...the disc drive seems blocked by something popping down on top of the drive and won't open. It does try to open up though..I'm gonna go buy the appropriate tools to open the machine up and hopefully it's a simple adjustment. Has anyone see. Something like this before?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
$120 sounds like too much. Especially for a 15". I would expect a 20" for that.

Try inserting a straightened paperclip into the release hole.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Try inserting a straightened paperclip into the release hole.
That I don't think, will do the OP any good. If you examine the picture you'll see that at the top of the drive door is some piece of plastic that is blocking the drive door from opening.

As far as the price, for me that would be worth it. The lamp shade Macs by and large are one of the more popular iMac designs. If this Mac is in good condition and there's no issues with the hinges on the arms (as is wont to happen) then I think the OP got a pretty good deal. Especially with a 1Ghz processor.

That's just my opinion though.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
that piece of plastic covering the tray may be able to be readjusted without taking it apart which is a finicky job. i am not so sure why apple put that thin piece of plastic there in the first place.

davecerva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
That I don't think, will do the OP any good. If you examine the picture you'll see that at the top of the drive door is some piece of plastic that is blocking the drive door from opening.

As far as the price, for me that would be worth it. The lamp shade Macs by and large are one of the more popular iMac designs. If this Mac is in good condition and there's no issues with the hinges on the arms (as is wont to happen) then I think the OP got a pretty good deal. Especially with a 1Ghz processor.

That's just my opinion though.

Yeah I think I got a great deal. Its in top shape!
Literally the only issue is this thing obstructing the disc drive.
Here's a pic of the lovely machine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 116

spf2

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
Very nice setup. I hope to get one of those in the future along with the cube. I love the Apple Pro Speakers. They are pretty hard to come by here and they are expensive.

davecerva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
that piece of plastic covering the tray may be able to be readjusted without taking it apart which is a finicky job. i am not so sure why apple put that thin piece of plastic there in the first place.

I've tried to push that piece in but it's hard and it seems to have some foamy adhesive holding it in place...maybe it just moved slowly after mods were done by the previous owner?

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I've tried to push that piece in but it's hard and it seems to have some foamy adhesive holding it in place...maybe it just moved slowly after mods were done by the previous owner?

The Dvd drive may have been replaced and placed incorrectly. I personally do not own a Imac G4, but when i was replacing the Hard drive in my Emac. When I put everything back together the DVD drive refused to open because the wireless card plastic got pinched between the plastic casing. It wasnt a big deal but i still had to take it apart because the antenna cable was being pinched too. haha i rushed putting it back together. ;) But if you're comfortable take it apart.

However i honestly do agree with a previous post that you did overpay a tad bit. Especially since you did not get any peripherals with it. Its only a 15 inch. However still a nice find. I really wanted a Imac G4 but sadly they are slower then Emacs as they have a bigger Cache. My Emac G4 1.42 flies and yet it only has 1GB of Ram running Leopard..

If you do plan on taking it apart keep us updated with photos. Im sure we here at the PPC group will help you along your way with getting it fixed. Again i do not have a G4 Imac, but i have worked with a few back at the school. Anyways. good luck and keep us posted! I love the design on these foreign odd alien like design! :apple::D

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I THINK that is part of the black plastic shield that surrounds the power supply, which is directly above the drive door.
You'll not likely get that back in place without taking the power supply out, and reseating the various parts to their proper position.

(bonus: getting there gives you a lot of familiarity with the inside :D )

I would suggest that you can find the factory service manual to help with disassembly.
Here's one possible source: http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/imac/imac_usb2.pdf
(Apple often tries to get sites to remove those kinds of files from public access, but this site seems to always have various service manuals.)

davecerva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
Ohh darn it sounds like a trip to try to fix this :confused:
I'm almost thinking of just leaving it alone. I will say that I got to force in and out the disc tray and got it played a cd but I'm sure that if I keep doing that it will eventually break.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Ohh darn it sounds like a trip to try to fix this :confused:
I'm almost thinking of just leaving it alone. I will say that I got to force in and out the disc tray and got it played a cd but I'm sure that if I keep doing that it will eventually break.

I have stripped both of mine, which is something you should consider doing at some stage as a matter of maintenance. These things hoover up a terrific amount of dust and fluff. It is laborious but not super difficult. The optical drive is easier to get at than the fan that sits atop.
Just remember to get hold of thermal paste. You need to reapply everytime you open one of these up.

davecerva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
I went to a nearby hardware store and got the Torx screwdrivers but I couldn't find thermal paste in there so I'll have to go somewhere else to find that tomorrow.
Haha I wish it was as easy to just get pliers to pull it but that would be a disaster! I actually thought about just slicing it with a hot knife but no I'll either do it the right way or nothing at all.
And that is not a simple black flap...it's thick and doesn't move at all when pushing it with hand strength.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I went to a nearby hardware store and got the Torx screwdrivers but I couldn't find thermal paste in there so I'll have to go somewhere else to find that tomorrow.

If you have a Radio Shack local to you, it's a good source for thermal paste. Radio Shack sells a "house brand" paste and Artic Silver 5-I'd strongly encourage paying the extra money for AS5.

In general, you're likely to only find thermal paste at electronics stores and places that sell computer parts. I went into Staples a few months ago asking for some, and they tried to sell me fax machine paper :rolleyes: . Of course, if you're lucky enough to have a place that actually caters to building PCs you'll have a lot more selection and better prices too. Microcenter-at least in Cincinatti-has one side of an aisle with nothing but thermal paste.

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
Wow this brings back memories! We bought a used 800MHz 15" model back in 2007. I think it cost $300. Nice computer, but ultimately was left behind by the modern Web. They can be had for pretty cheap nowadays at least where I live.
I was 15 and I took apart the computer to replace the DVD drive with nothing more than a kitchen knife so it's definetely doable lol.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013

don't push it in, push it upwards. maybe with a pencil eraser. again not sure if this will work.

davecerva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
So I finally got to opening up the computer...that piece of plastic had no purpose there, it's like the previous owner stuck it there with some adhesive for no good reason but it just came right off with some force and boom the disc drive opens, closes, and works good.
Now that I know it wasn't anything of importance I could've just pulled it down without opening the whole thing but oh well it was kinda fun to open it and look inside haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 86

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, now I can see what that piece is...
It's the tray bezel - just a plastic cover that originally was attached to the front edge of the CD tray.
So, yes, it was actually a part of the computer.
But, removing that piece doesn't affect the operation, it's purely there for appearance.

davecerva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
Yes, now I can see what that piece is...
It's the tray bezel - just a plastic cover that originally was attached to the front edge of the CD tray.
So, yes, it was actually a part of the computer.
But, removing that piece doesn't affect the operation, it's purely there for appearance.

Ohh yeah tray bezel, makes sense I didn't think about it being that! Still weird how or why it was stuck up there haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.