Just got an iPad, need suggestions!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SRLMJ23, Apr 17, 2011.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Hey all...I just got an iPad and I wondering what apps are must haves? I have an iPhone so I know some of the apps that are good but I have no clue about iPad specific apps.

Thanks in advance!

2. deeddawg, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

Must haves depends so much on your usage/needs. Why did you buy the ipad? What do you intend to do with it? What do you do? Student? Highschool/college/graduate? Professional? Field? Ne'er-do-well? :) Looking for professional apps or games?

Basically -- Help people to help you by providing even a slight glimmer of info about your needs and interests; saves you and them a bunch of time, which is the courteous thing to do given that nobody here is paid to answer your question and do so out of good will.

Consider reading the iPad Apps forums here on MacRumors that's specific to iPad Apps. LOTS of good info there, including some ongoing "best apps" threads.

Another good starting place would be here: http://tinyurl.com/3nyw62f :D

I will list a couple apps I use: I spend the majority of my time on my ipad in PDF Expert highlighting PDFs for grad school. Second would be ibooks or overdrive when on a plane to/from client sites. Third would be Mail/Calendar/Safari for obvious reasons. TED is also good.

3. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Sorry, I am doctor doing my residency, so medical stuff I must have, but I have that taken care of. Basically I want to use my iPad, one for work, but also maybe as replacement for my laptop (I say replacement, but we all know the iPad cant truly replace a laptop)....

4. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

1. Weather bug
    2. Score center
    3. Pages
    4. Numbers
    5. Keynote
    6. ABC Player
    7. Wiki anion
    8. iMovie
    9. TuneIn Radio
    10. Pandora
    11. NPR
    12. Flipboard
    13. Dictionary
    14. iBooks
    15. Alarmed
    16. Skype
    17. Filterstorm
    18. Pocketbible
    19. *****FindMyiPhone*****
    20. Netflix

5. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Splashtop Remote
    AirVideo Player
    ABC Player
    Hulu+ (If you're a subscriber)
    WatchESPN (If your affiliate is Verizon, Time Warner, or Brighthouse)

I guess i really like watching video on my ipad...

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In no particular order, Zite, File Browser, Good Reader, Air Video, Dropbox with Dropdav, Instapaper, get one of the free text apps that lets you SMS from your iPad, Weather HD, iBooks, Kindle, Wikipanion. And shop around for a personal information manager or todo app that works for you.

7. Furifo macrumors 6502

I'm a med student myself and I found this thread really, really helpful. LOTS of medical related apps to be had:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12377248&posted=1#post12377248

8. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

If nothing else get a couple of good ereader apps. Kindle is great and the kindle store has some medical books which might be of interest to you. Also Nook from B&N. Then there are the PDF readers.

If you are into genealogy, Families is great.

Basically whatever peaks your interest, and what you will use your ipad for besides school/professional needs.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Might be helpful if you told us what you want to do with your iPad and what kinds of apps and games you like.

10. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Read the other posts and all the information will be there.

To the OP: I love the app Synotes it is a normal notes app however it syncs your notes to a webpage so it allows you to access your notes on any computer/internet enabled phone and it includes way more options then the stock notes app. You should give it a try.