Just got an iPhone 4, have a question about the glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acidraindrop, Jul 30, 2010.

1. acidraindrop macrumors member

I tried looking through the forum for a thread about this but I didn't find one. I was wondering if the glass on the back and front scratch easily and if I should get an invisible shield or something like that for it.

2. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

If it's something you're worried about, do it. My original iPhone, 3G and 3Gs, never got any scratches.. So, I'm not going to bother with it.

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

No, it doesn't easily scratch. It is not normal glass!

4. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Have had mine since 6/23 and not a single scratch.

5. acidraindrop thread starter macrumors member

Guess im not putting anything on it then. Maybe ill throw a bumper on it but probably not.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Mine has already got some small pitting on the front which you can easily feel with your fingernail. Scratches seem to be deeper than on my 1st gen.

7. potdude macrumors member

Go look at the demo iPhone 4's at an Apple or AT&T store and judge for yourself. If you are the type of person who pampers your iPhone from the day you buy it until the day that you sell it, never drop your iPhone, and always be mindful to take care of it, then you'll be fine.

However, if you are the type of person who throws your iPhone around, keeps it in your pocket with your car keys, frequently drop your iPhone, or otherwise handles your iPhone with the same horrendous care as those people who play with the demo models in stores, then get some protection.

8. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Really depends on how careful you are with your phone. As long as you don't rough house it (set it on a counter dont just drop it) small things like that, the glass wont scratch that easily, because its pretty strong

9. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

It's easily scratched and broken it's 30X weaker than plastic.

10. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Someone was telling me that the front is a different glass than the back...and the back scratches and cracks easier.

This sounds like a load of crap...but I didn't have anything to back up otherwise.

thoughts?

11. damirski macrumors newbie

I went to aplle store and had a conversation about this, and they said they are not selling any protective film for ip4 reason is it loses some features:confused:
    and they do not recommend any protective film, since glass is as hard as diamond:eek:
    So I guess I do not need anything across my screen.....

12. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

lol I'm pretty sure a diamond would scratch your screen...which means the diamond is harder than glass.

13. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Diamond is as hard as diamond. Glass? Not quite.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Same. I couldn't feel the scratches on my 3G, but I definitely can feel the scratches on my 4.

15. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Mine shattered when I dropped it. First phone I've ever broken unintentionally. :(

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The back of mine is completely unscathed, whereas the front is pitted. I would say the back is if anything actually tougher. The bumper I have on mine has been very effective, saving it from damage on the three occasions I have dropped it onto the street when getting out of my car.

Glass is nothing like as hard as diamond. Whoever told you that was a complete twat.