Just got an iPhone. Is there anything i must/should know?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leandronb, May 11, 2016.

1. leandronb macrumors newbie

Hi guys, after using Android since my first smartphone I moved to Apple. I should receive a 6s plus tomorrow, so I wanna know if there is any tips that every iPhone user must know.
    There are things that I already want to know like:
    1)how iTunes backup work? Does it make a image of the system so it can restore the same way it was, or it just save the settings or media?
    2)I mostly rely on Google for my contacts and calendar, but I want to backup my stuff to iCloud too. Is there a way for example, when making a new contact, it syncs with both Google and iCloud?
    3)I read that Apple music subscribers are complaining that the service is deleting user songs and matching with the cloud. Does it happen if I don't use Apple music? I don't want to lose any music that I have.
    4)should I worry about cache, or apps running in background? In what frequency should I restart the device?
    5)should I factory reset after every system update?
    6)On Android can see a photo like in WhatsApp and backup directly to Google photos. Can I do this on iOS?

Thanks in advance guys.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

See my comments. Welcome to iPhone!

3. Chatter macrumors 6502a

So I am sure you know this but the "difference in operations" will surprise you and possibly throw you off on a few things. Both systems can do "x" but do "x" differently. So search online for tips and tricks if you find something not to your liking. Good luck :apple:

4. ElysiumY2K macrumors member

ElysiumY2K

It backs up everything currently on your phone that you want to back up. Settings, messages, photos etc. So when someone goes wrong you can just restore it and rollback to the time you backed it up.

iCloud can sync all your contacts and calendars from Google onto your new iPhone.

Syncing Google and iCloud at the same time? I don't think that is possible unless someone else can clarify this.

That's just a misunderstanding for some users.
    http://www.imore.com/no-apple-music-not-deleting-tracks-your-hard-drive-unless-you-tell-it

I don't use Apple Music but there are rumours it's currently going to get a revamp. There are other music apps you can use; Spotify etc.

No you don't need to worry about those kind of things.

But if you're quite techy then you should know a smart phone is just like all other electronic devices, it requires cache/cookies to be cleared and phone rebooted every now and then.

I tend reboot my phone once every 1-2 weeks.

Why would you need to do that?

Well whatsapp does have an automatic save media option which will save photos to your photos app.

If you connect your iPhone anytime to a pc/laptop it will automatically back up and also if your iPhone is on WiFi and connected to a charger, it will also automatically backup in iCloud.

Hope that answer some of your questions.

5. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

You choose a default account for contacts, so the phone isn't going to save your contacts to two accounts.

You can just set your phone to sync to one and regularly manually back up to the other.

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Regarding #5, why on Earth would you factory reset after every update? I've never done this for any device; iOS, Android, or Windows.

7. BigMcGuire, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

As a former Android user (who rooted, who is a HUGE Google fan) - you'll be surprised at how awesome the Google apps are on iOS. I use Inbox (by Google) for gmail, Hangouts, Google (for Google Now), Google Calendar, Google Keep, Google Maps, Waze, Google Photos (AMAZING) - yes it backs up photos you download and save. Hangouts syncs your contacts with Google on your iPhone. I use Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Authenticator, Google Wallet, Google Voice, Youtube frequently. Also, I use Chrome as my primary browser on my Mac and my iPhone (syncs passwords, bookmarks, history) - makes it SUPER easy to resume browsing on my windows/macs after browsing on my iPhone without any extra work.

Apple Music? I use Google Music.

Biggest difference going from Android to iOS? Standby battery life. Build quality. How easy it is to take pictures that look AMAZING. How there is absolutely no lag. How you don't have to spend hours and hours to make the phone usable.

#1. I just backup to iCloud mostly. Every now and then I'll do a backup to my Windows machine or my Mac via iTunes just ... ... I don't really know why I do cuz I've never used them, but it's peace of mind.

See? Your question #4... Just use the phone. I've gone months without restarting my iPhone with no problems and ... I never kill apps, unless I just want them to restart which is almost never.

I'm convinced that Android is for people who have hours and hours to waste to customize their phone, get it in a working condition from factory, and spend hours troubleshooting stuff that should be working but isn't. Advantage? You can customize a lot, make it look cool, and do "cool" things that may not be fully supported or not. iPhone? It works, apps are solid and far more polished, it can spend 3 days sitting on your desk with good reception and still have battery left for a few more days. The build quality is A+. And as someone who takes hundreds of photos per month, there is no comparison with photo quality (personal experience).

Oh, forgot to mention, no forced adware (which is why I rooted when I had Android).

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

But but but but why??? I couldn't imagine my life without Google. I'd gladly use another company that had these things. Very curious as to why - big fan of your posts here.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I am uncomfortable with the number of times that Google execs visit the white house. I simply do not trust them anymore than the government. Google can do so much but you give up a lot for that. I simply choose not to.

Hope you understand, it is just my preference. Looking at your image you were born in a different time and your education would have been different from mine, many years earlier. We just think differently but can still get along fine.

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

And I respect it too (your preference). Thanks for taking the time to write that :). I appreciate it.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

13. leandronb thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I do this?
    My contacts are on my Google account, I will import them to iphone and will sync to icloud, but I want to still have my contacts up to date on Google account.
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2016 ---
    On every Android phone o had, a major update like from 4.4 to 5.0 I factory reset to avoid any conflicts with apps from the old firmware.

14. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Just add your Google account and make sure contact sync is on. Set Google as your default contacts account and it will stay up to date. You don't need your contacts on iCloud, too. Just use Google for them.

15. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

This ^^^ (What Channan said) --- Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars ----> Add your Google account (I uncheck mail cuz I use gmail/inbox).

Then scroll down to Contacts (3/4th the way down) ----- Default Account --> change it from iCloud to Gmail.

16. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

This almost looks like I typed it. Lol

Google apps replaced most of the stock Apple ones. Hangouts replaced Phone and Messages, Play Music replaced Apple's music app, Inbox replaced Mail, and Apple Maps was just never even used on my phone.

Sucks iOS still doesn't allow setting default apps. I'd love being able to completely manage my photos through the Google Photos app, but now that Hangouts supports the share extension and Google Photos can free device storage by deleting pictures off your phone that are backed up, I rarely have to use the stock Photos app now.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Does Chrome still disallow content blockers or is that exclusively a chrome for Android thing? The ads on Android absolutely ruined the experience for me.