Just got an iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dahni, Aug 11, 2008.

1. dahni macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I just got an 3G, 8gb iPhone for my b-day, which is actually today :D and I have a question. I currently have AT&T as my provider and I've had my old phone for about 2 years now. I don't have anything special on my plan besides text messaging and honestly I don't need much more. I haven't tried this, but would I be able to just switch my sim card to the iPhone, or do I have to get a special 3G sim card? Also do I have to have a special internet plan in order to be able to connect through WiFi on the iPhone? Any help would be appreciated especially since I am a total newbie with it comes to the iPhone. :eek:

Thank you!

Dahni :)

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Just get an iPhone data plan from AT&T.

I don't really understand how you got one though, because whoever bought it needed to sign a contract.

WiFi works regardless, even if you don't have a SIM card in the phone.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Happy birthday!!!

Congrats on your new iPhone. It's great!

Okay, yes, you can just put your SIM card into the iPhone, but you'll have to add the unlimited data plan to your AT&T plan. That's $30/month, and is non-negotiable for the iPhone 3G with AT&T.

You're not actually using data when you connect via WiFi, but anytime you connect via the 3G or EDGE network, you are.

Take a look at the iPhone stickies and FAQs here, and a lot of questions will be answered. :)

4. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

What a coincidence, today is my birthday too!

For the WiFi you just need a wireless router which is pretty much defacto in any household with internet access these days. It's the same as connecting your laptop wirelessly.

Enjoy your new iPhone!

5. dahni thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool! Thank you :)

6. dahni thread starter macrumors newbie

HAPPY B-DAY TO YOU TOO :) Yes, quite a coincidence! :p

7. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

happy birthday bro hope you enjoy your 3g as much as i am!

8. phaggard macrumors regular

I have never been able to connect to any data on an Iphone with a used SIM from a NON iphone phone without calling AT&T and having them provision the SIM over the air to connect to the proper data signal. I have done it with any AT&T phone that I have ever had except the Iphone.

9. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Your new phone comes with a SIM card already in it. Why don't you want to use that one?

10. dahni thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess what I was trying to see is if I could just swap the SIM card from my old phone and use it on the apple phone, without having to pay anything extra a month, but looks like there is a $30 a month mandatory plan if you wanna use any data stuff, or even voicemail, which is pretty good i suppose for unlimited usage :)

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

12. dahni thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Benflick, I didn't get it, it was given to me for my b-day today....since you all say that you can only get it with a contract it leads me to believe my friend must have bought it by the means of internet? :rolleyes: Either way, I aint complaining. :p

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, congrats on your 3G iPhone and your B-Day! :D

14. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Umm...I got socks from my friends on my last birthday. Can I be friends with your friends?

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Ditto, ^^^ we must have the same friend, but I got the "gold-toe!" :p

16. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Must be those cheap ass Washingtonians.

17. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

18. tritonj macrumors 6502a

you can't buy the phone from the internet. only at an att or apple store. at the time of purchase you sign up for a contract, are you sure you got a iPhone 3G or an iPhone 1.0? i'd check with your friend you may be having a surprise in the mail in the form of a bill in a month, unless your friend is paying for your cell service too

19. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Unless your friend also knows your SS and have a fake license of you, they can't sign up for you.

20. tritonj macrumors 6502a

they could have signed up as himself and was planning on transferring the service to your name. ATT doesn't care who signs up or how many times service is transferred all they want is for the payments to come once a month. this goes for any phone, i have pawned off service to people in the middle of contracts in the past, all they have to do is agree to take over the contract

21. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

That I know...ps. you want my contract?

22. tritonj macrumors 6502a

sure, lol