Just got an (somewhat) free MBP...what to do with it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jam3rz, May 28, 2010.

1. jam3rz macrumors newbie

Hey there guys, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

Just wanted to share the story of how I got my new 15 inch macbook pro...

I bought a used non-unibody 15 inch macbook pro (2.5 GHz C2D, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia 8800M 512 VRAM) that had Applecare warranty from a friend of mine, about $1100. Then, over the next 15 months, I had three logic board failures. On the most recent failure, about two days ago, I went to the Apple Store and expressed my frustration to the Genius. The Genius went into the back room, and 10 minutes later he returned and told me that they were going to replace my laptop with a new one!

I was pretty surprised, and I asked him what kind they were going to give me. He told me it was going to be the base model 15 inch (2.4 Core i5). I mentioned that my old processor's clock speed was higher, but didn't ask for an upgrade. I then asked what kind of graphics card it had, and he told me it was a Nvidia GT330M with 256 MB VRAM. I mentioned that my old computer had 512 MB, but again, didn't ask for an upgrade.

He looks at my records, tells me to wait for a minute, and goes in the back room again. Ten minutes later he comes back and tells me that they are going to give me the 2.66 Core i7 model, since it is the only one with 512 MB of VRAM!! I nearly passed out at that point. 20 minutes later I walked out of the Apple Store with my new Core i7 macbook pro!

Anyways, now I'm sitting here with the best and most powerful computer that I've ever owned, but I'm almost at a loss about what to do with it. I feel like I should be doing something crazy with it to take advantage of the ridiculous processor power.

My question to you guys is what do you do with your powerful computers?

2. DoctorPiranha macrumors newbie

GAME MAN! Steam just came out for the mac. You owe it to your self to pick up the Orange Box!

3. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

Photoshop and overclocked the baby on Windows 7 to play video games... oh and schoolwork too I suppose.

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

That is an awesome story! Cheers to you and your new TOL MBP!
    :)

5. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Congrats!

After THREE logic board failures, you deserve it.