Just got AT&T to give me $240 credit by expressing interest in in leavin for T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheCollector, Jan 8, 2014.

1. TheCollector macrumors newbie

Just had a nice chat that started with an online-chat inquiry as to what the ETF would be for my wife and I to leave AT&T. The online agent gave me the number, then suggested that he could offer me something to stick around. I said I was open to it and he called me and transferred me to a retention agent. The retention agent asked why I wanted to leave, I told him that T-Mobile is offering to pay my ETF, that they offer unlimited data (even though I have a grandfathered data plan with AT&T, but my wife only has 3GB), and that I would save money in addition to T-Mobiles free international data.

He was very understanding and said that he had just heard about T-Mobile's plan today and that they hadn't been prepped on any response, but that he understood that it sounded like an interesting proposition. Without me asking, he offered me 6 months free texting ($30/mo x 6) and a $60 credit on my current bill. Never hurts to call. Just be nice, be patient, and don't be an ass hole. Just say you are looking into your options. I spent 15 minutes on the phone, and just made $960/hr.

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yup. This can be done. Just gotta be nice and not be demanding.

I got family messaging for free for 2 years by doing this back in the Fall. That is $20 * 24 = $480 value

3. TheCollector thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, that's a killer grab. I've just got 2 lines, but still got away great.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's sweet.
    I'm going to see what they can do for me with 4 lines.

5. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yeah. They originally offered the same 6 months free messaging and $60 credit. But asked them to reconsider, since my account is so old (~14 years now).

Maybe I should call again tomorrow and ask :eek:

6. TheCollector thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, I've been with them since Apple gave me the first iPhone in 2007. Shoulda played the age card!

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So you called because you actually considered leaving? People who call just to bluff annoy me, much like people who demand a free dessert because the waiter made a honest mistake on their order.

8. TheCollector thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes actually. I used to be a T-Mobile customer, happy one at that, until the iPhone came out in 2007. I also get the same speeds under TMO as I do with AT&T in my area, but I would save $10/mo with TMO if I switched and get 2.5GB tethering and international data for free. Like I said in my original post, I was simply inquiring what my actual ETF would be so I would know if TMO would cover it under their terms. It was the AT&T rep who was the first one to bring up the fact that they could offer me something to prevent me from considering moving to TMO. I even reiterated to the retention agent that the only reason for my initial communication was to find out what the ETF would be if I did make the switch. They threw offers at me, not the other way around.

P.S. They also sounded freaking terrified and I could hear a bunch of reps in the background speaking loudly and referring to TMO. TMO really knocked this one out of the park, and I'll be happily heading their way in 6-12 months.

9. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Thanks Collector for pointing this possibility out to all of us!
    We the customers are a commodity to wireless companies. they make enough money off of us to pay us to keep being their customers. this is great for the customers. It did not make economical sense AT&T would not offer free services to keep the customers they have.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    I been with them for 16 years with never a late payment or anything.
    Hope they consider adjusting their prices and services and be more about giving more options and better deals to the customers than all about fattening their pockets.