Just got back from ATT, different process than expected

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TimothyB, Jul 11, 2008.

1. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

(sorry, wanted to post this right away, move it if it's in the wrong place)

Got there at 3 am, ended up being number 10, which they gave 10 cards out at 7am to let us leave to come back at 8am.

At 8am, outside they came up to us one at a time to ask our cell number which they typed in a cell phone to find out eligibility, and wrote it down.

Going inside, first 10, you went to the first available person, which was enough for everyone. The stuff they did outside wasn't needed, they did it just to find out problems before hand.

Here's where it was different than I thought. (I'm existing customer)

The guy asked my number, then asked for ID. Then scaned the code on the outside of the iPhone box, I sign on a digi pad for the contract, then I slid my credit card and signed for that, and I'm done. They didn't need to open the iPhone box. Just told me to go home, put in my old sim, unbrick it with iTunes.

Also, I was one that used the loophole on Wed by borrowing a friends iPhone and activating it. They did not ask once about my existing phone, or if I had an iPhone, or for my sim card.

Oh, only deals they had was some bundle with that new model of the Jawbone headset, car charger, and some iPhone case, it was hard to hear what the price was, something like $150.

EDIT: also, remember to install 7.7 iTunes, 7.6 won't activate it.

2. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

That sounds like an orderly customer service process. Far better than waiting in a line far longer than the number of phones available at a location. This highlights to me the lack of corporate thought on the process of processing folks. Nice to hear your location had folks with some foresight.

congrats.

3. heyp macrumors 6502

so you got it for the discounted price?

4. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

At 7am when they gave the first 10 cards out, the ATT guy said clearly they had enough for everyone that was in line. Another in line said he counted around 37 people at that time. But around 8am, seemed more like 75 people were now in line, and they never did a recount or ensure to those new peope they would get one.

One poor guy, one of the first 10, hadn't upgraded his phone for 5 or so years. He came in a week before to confirm eligibility, when they said he was. And at that with the same employee, he got a new sim for and old phone he had to use in the mean time, forget what he said he did with the last phone, maybe lost it. But in line, they tell him he's not. There only solution at the moment was to start a new line, lost his number, lose his roll over total. Though, they said his rollover minutes can be added back, not sure about his number. They told him they'd compensate him some how for the trouble.

5. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Yeah the manager of your store did it right...worked with what they had and it sounds like they made it a pleasant experience. I wonder though...did they have enough for everyone? Or was it just 10? edit: nevermind.

6. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, $299 for the 16gig Black. My original eligible date was in November, 4 months away. I was nervous as the typed my number in a phone outside to check eligibility, but they said, ah, good, you are in shape for $299, no questions asked. But this loophole is probably over now that it's the 11th

7. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

The first 10 was just to control how many went into the store. As soon as 5 leave, they would let the next 5 in.

I know they had atleast 40 when they confirmed there was enough for everyone at 7am, which there were about 37 people in line. But at 8am, the line nearly doubled and they never updated if there were still enough for the newcomers.

This was an ATT store in Modesto CA, one of three.

8. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Ah, that does suck for those folks. foresight: yes; follow through: no.

9. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

I finally opened the sealed box and it did have a sim card in it already. Guess I'll toss it aside since I'm to use my existing sim card. Dang, I need to install 7.7 iTunes before I can activate it.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Similar experience, except I downloaded the 2.0 update this morning @6:13am PDT via my MBP, while standing in line #2 position, and my v1 iPhone has been bricked since. Multiple attempts to access the iTunes Store and multiple times the same message prompt "unknown error occurred (-4)" "try later..." So, with new 3G iPhone in hand, and v1 iPhone in the other hand, I can't call anyone except the POLICE to come pick me up, so I can return to my time share condo and continue with my "once enjoyable" frickin' vacation...:mad:

70 people in line behind me at the AT&T Store, and they were all left in the dark as to how many 3G iPhones were available due to "security measures in place" guess they didn't want to be robbed? Took a stroll over to the nearest Apple Store and the line was 200+ deep, from counting expertise...

11. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

Restarted and now waiting for iTunes to respond. It shows the word iPhone in the middle of the screen, and accessing iTunes. But it's time out twice now.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, just got off the phone with AT&T 1-800-331-0500 (had to call from a landline payphone, since my iPhone is BRICKED) and they said everything should be "good to go" with the exception that they are experiencing "HEAVY" traffic with the iTunes Store, but should be able to restore my 3G iPhone by this afternoon...:mad:

OK, as of 9:45am PDT, my 3G iPhone has been activated and sync in progress, restoring my videos, music and photos as we speak...Sure took a really long time!!!

13. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Can you just sign whatever and leave with an UNOPENED box if you're a new customer too? I'd hate to ruin the unboxing and have them rub a new iPhone around before I even got to use it...

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sure, why not. Once they scan the box and put your phone number in the computer and pay with your CC, you can activate at home, which is what I did. It's pretty painless, except for the waiting to access the iTunes Store...:eek:

Might be different if you are porting a number or getting a new number...Sorry

15. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Thanks! Glad that's how they do that. Wish ALL cell phone activations worked like that where you don't have to mess with them in the store for that part of it.

Oh well, I doubt I'll get one as the monthly contract was too much for me BEFORE they raised it another $10 :(