Just got back from best buy with A UNIBODY MACBOOK PRO

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aniki, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Aniki macrumors regular

$1999 one, but still amazing. When I got my Late '07 blackbook, it costed $1599, and since my macbook has been in repair 3 times, they asked if I wanted a new laptop with $1599. I decided to go for base MBP Unibody, and spend $400 :eek:. Amazing deal. Any tips on what I should do next :D.

2. harry454 macrumors 6502

3. wesrk macrumors 6502a

that model gives you really god bang for the buck!
    congratulations!

4. jagr200 macrumors member

You should order 4GBs RAM from OWC right away. If you do overnight shipping you will still get it tomorrow but you have 20mins to order. The difference in load time with 4GBs compared to 2GBs is insane.

5. NickM macrumors 6502

You should return it and buy through eBay.
    I got the $2499 (+ a couple hundred $ in tax) model for $1999 (+ NO tax)

6. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Debbie Downer.

7. Aniki thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going with crucial >_>

8. NickM macrumors 6502

Sorry...didn't mean to come across as Debbie Downer. I meant to come across as Helpful Harry.
    He asked what he should do next...and if I was in his shoes, I'd do what I suggested.

Regardless, he has a badass new computer. Enjoy!

9. Momofthree macrumors member

10. lattelady macrumors newbie

purchasing on ebay

I presume that if you purchase on ebay, you can still buy Apple Care online or at the Apple Store?

11. NickM macrumors 6502

Beware:
    The new Mac laptops are hot items right now, and that unfortunately attracts a lot of scammers.
    Believe it or not, it took me FOUR tries to get mine.
    I use PayPal, so I was protected and quickly reimbursed, but it was a hastle.
    Use PayPal and you'll be OK.
    Make sure you avoid anybody with low feedback numbers and percentage...trust me. There are several guys on there with 3000+ positive feedbacks who are regularly selling them on eBay. Try to find one of them.
    This is the guy I bought from:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-MacBook-P...|66:3|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:100

There are people on eBay that are selling Apple Care for about half of what Apple charges... not sure how that works, but look into it. I will be sometime soon.

12. lattelady macrumors newbie

Thanks for the warning and the link. I also saw one (15", 2.6, 4G ram, 320GB) for 2199.00, but then I found the same model with the educ discount (we do pay our sons tuition!) for 2299.00 at apple.com. With tax, almost a $300 diff. Your warning has me thinking it might be easier to buy direct. But the model in the link you posted is almost the same, and even another couple of hundred dollars less...so I've much to ponder.

13. NickM macrumors 6502

The seller of the link I posted is the guy I bought from. He's really cool and even shipped it 2-day UPS select w/ Saturday delivery to me. (for the small price difference, of course)

Send him a message... he had some other models a few weeks ago, so if your'e looking for something else, he might have it or might be getting it soon.

edit - I've been using eBay for about 10 years and the trouble I ran into when trying to get a MacBook Pro is the first trouble I've ever had. Then again, for the first time, I did try buying from people with low feedback numbers... bad decision... but, PayPal protects eBay buyers 100%.