Just got back from the Apple store.......

Discussion in 'iMac' started by B.A.T, May 27, 2012.

1. B.A.T macrumors 6502

The hard drive died on my iMac last night so I made an appointment at the genius bar when they opened this morning. Spent eleven minutes in the store and got a free upgrade to a 2 TB HD. I did not have one hassle in the entire experience.

Apple's service has always been top notch for me and none of this is really all that surprising yet I can't believe how happy I've been since I left the store this morning. I wish more companies could figure this part of the equation out. Thank you Apple :)

2. applefiend95 macrumors regular

im glad to hear that everything went well with your Apple Store expedition.

3. leman macrumors 604

Did they say anything about when the new iMac will arrive? I was sure this thread would be about that :p

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I'm glad it went well, but frankly I'd rather be able to plunk in a new hard drive myself and keep working rather than have to go to the Apple Store for what is usually an easy fix. Drive failure isn't that unusual; this is like never having a spare and relying on being near an open auto shop to get a flat repaired.

Rob

5. xopher macrumors newbie

Is this part of the premium apple care? I'm switching over to Mac because I've also heard wonderful stories such as this one. Do you recommend getting all that extra warranty? Or is standard good enough?

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

AppleCare should be a no-brainer purchase for any Mac. It's only $169 retail for the iMac (can be found for less) and will more than pay for itself if one repair is needed. It extends the standard 1 year warranty to 3 years and also comes with 3 years of telephone support which can be invaluable to a recent covert from MS Windows. Don't even think twice about it, just get it!

7. B.A.T thread starter macrumors 6502

IMO always get the three year AppleCare. I bought the machine new in August 2011 from MacMall but it is a 2010 model.

I agree with opening the machine up but I'm pretty happy with how I was treated.

8. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Good to see that Apple is always on top of their old world customer service standard.
    Its not only encouraging, assuring and expected........Its what Apple is about.

9. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

They always "dummie up" whenever I ask about new releases when in the Apple store. If they know anything they ain't saying.

10. andrewgarn macrumors newbie

Did they recover any of your data? or just take your 1TB out and put a blank 2TB in?

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Hopefully the OP had backups. As for data recovery, if it isn't spinning up, it's going to be expensive.

They're retail level employees. Why would they be informed about anything prior to announcement?

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They don't know anything.

13. B.A.T thread starter macrumors 6502

Everything is backed up twice. Data recovery wasn't needed