Just Got Duped for Wire Transfer. Options?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by theturtle, Apr 8, 2013.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

Ok so i made a wtb southwest vouchers in the marketplace a few days ago. I thought i lucked out by finding someone in florida that would finally deal over the internet. I asked if he would accept paypal but he said that he doesn't do enough online transactions that would warrant a paypal account. Usually that would raise a red flag, but his signature has all his personal information so I figured i might as well take a risk with a wire transfer.

I was wrong.

I sent the wire using same day service via bank of america (cost 25 dollars). I sent it at the cut off time at 430 EST. Hes also EST so he should have received it. He said he didn't. Thats fine, maybe it takes a few hours. This was a thursday. So i gave it the whole day on friday. Nothing. Called bank of america, they said that the wire went through on their end and that if the person didn't receive it (and was telling the truth that he didn't) then its chase's (his bank) that is a culprit of the hold up. Weekend goes by, no contact. Person doesn't even try to ease my worries. Monday comes, i call this morning to confirm ONCE AGAIN that it went through on my end. Bank of america rep says yeah and that its chase.

What are my options here. I have every single piece of info on him. Where he works, his address (thats linked to his chase account at least), his work email address, his linked in, all of it. What are my options? Ironic because tickets went up in price today anyways.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

3. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

What makes you think he gave you the right information? It could be completely inaccurate.

4. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I assumed that you couldnt fake the address thats associated to your bank account. I even have his routing and account number. Its not as though hes an international scammer.

But yep! Emailed him. No reply since 10am.

That being said. Is anyone familiar with the brentwood, tn area? I looked it up on google maps and seems that the address is in a office/shopping complex (maybe its his business address?) and not to a home address.

5. eric/ Guest

eric/

Can you call the local police department and ask?

6. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Do you know who he banks with? Check with the routing number. You'll be amazed at what you could do with your identity online.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I hate to say it, OP, but I think you are out of luck.

8. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah i might call the local authorities to see what my options are.

Either that or start posting his account number/routing number+address everywhere i go.

9. eric/ Guest

eric/

I suppose one option would be to start charging a bunch of stuff to that account to the tune of what they stole from you