Just got Final Cut Express 4 for Christmas...is it better than 3.5???

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Dec 25, 2007.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

What are the differences between FCE 3.5 full version vs. version 4 full version? I hear 4 doesn't have soundtrack-that's a bummer. Are there other worthwhile features in version 4?

2. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Well if you have an AVCHD camera Final Cut Express 4 supports those camera's now. Not to mention I read it is suppose to be a little faster.

3. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't but I want an hv20 in the future...when they drop to $500 or less...thanks!

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Soundtrack is pretty useless. You can do the same **** in GarageBand.

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

one worthwhile feature is that FCE 4 uses FCP's fxplug language, so you can now use the "new" filters written for it, instead of having to use the older filter format.

That's the only other big benefit that I know of that hasn't been mentioned so far.

6. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

oh ok koo....thanks everyone...I guess I'll stick with my new copy...im glad...what a great gift and it's legal!!!

7. weckart macrumors 68040

3.5 comes with a lot of content and a training DVD (about 16GB worth) if that matters to you. FCE 4 is a much slimmed down package.

8. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

oh ok...that's what i'd really love to have is the extra content and training dvd :mad: ...now im stuck again...i guess i'll still keep version 4 though...seems like more + than -

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

the training dvd is ****.

10. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

lol...thanks for the review...that helps...seriously...im good now

11. macstatic macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty much wondering the same thing as the original poster.
    I've been using iMovie (version 5.0.2) up to now, but need something which allows me to do more, which is where FCE comes in.

I've been searching for info on FCE's Soundtrack, and several postings indicate that Soundtrack has several advantages and professional options that GarageBand doesn't. But then again I can see that those postings are from years back, and for all I know GarageBand might have caught up or even surpassed Soundtrack's features.... ?
    I haven't really used Garageband (version 2.0.2) that much, so I don't know what kind of potential it has, although my first impression is that it seems to be a "let's have some fun and let the whole family make music" kind of thing as opposed to a semi-pro/serious music making tool (I'll probably be buying Logic express later on as I'm into MIDI, keyboards and that sort of thing).

As for training, I read several postings here and there where new users were recommended to buy a book called "Final cut express HD 3.5 editing workshop" by Tom Wolsky, which I've already bought and had a brief look through. It comes with a training DVD, but as I don't have FCE yet I haven't had tried it out.

I'll be using FCE to edit home videos and have a Sony Mini-DV camcorder (regular DV, not HDV) and a 15" PowerBook G4 (1.67GHz) with MacOS 10.4.10 and 1.5GB of RAM. I plan to buy an external Firewire hard drive soon as well.

So having said all of this, would I be better off buying version 3.5 (specifications) , and possibly save some money in the process, if I can find someone selling it that is, or should I get the latest version 4 (specifications)?

Being a student I'm eligible for a discount as well ;)

12. cnymike macrumors newbie

Wow, I am totally with you. It has been nearly impossible to get a straight answer from someone about the differences in Soundtrack (now discontinued) and the lastest verstion of Garageband.

My understanding is that Soundtrack included lots more loops than the current Garageband. If that's true, I wonder if those loops can be used in Garageband as well. Same with Livetype, the version that ships with FCE 3.5 apparently has lots more to it than the FCE 4 version. Again, if I were to buy FCE 3.5 for cheap on eBay, it might, in the long run, be a better deal to upgrade to FCE 4 and have all the previous goodies plus the new version of FCE.

I just wish someone knowledgable could give a good overview of what Soundtrack has or had that Garageband doesn't.

The way I figure it, it would cost about $250 total cost to buy FCE 3.5 on eBay and then pay for the upgrade to FCE 4... that seems like a good deal versus just paying $200 for FCE 4 and losing an application (Soundtrack) and all the extra loops and livetype stuff.

Thoughts?