Just got first Mac!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TaylorDog, May 24, 2007.

1. TaylorDog macrumors newbie

I just got my new Macbook tonight and I love it. It's my first Mac and I'm still getting used to it, but it appears very well put together and is the perfect size. I have two questions so far:

1) How do you maximize a window so that it takes up the whole screen? The green arrow makes it a little bigger, but can you go bigger still? Especially w/ quicktime I think it would make a big difference.

2) Can you make new folders/directories like in Windows to put random files in?

3) Sorry, here's another one. I was able to enable sharing w/ my old laptop to get some files over. All that happened was that the folder I marked shared on the old laptop appeared on the screen of the Mac. That doesn't mean that the files are really on the Mac now, does it? I assumed that I'm just viewing the file from the Mac but it's really on the PC. However, when I uplugged the ethernet cable it was still there and I could still play the .avi in the folder (maybe it's getting it through the wireless network still?).

3.5) How would I physically copy some of these files to the Mac.

4) Is there an easy way to get my songs from iTunes from the PC to the Mac?

Sorry about all the questions! The whole experience is a little intimidating b/c I've been a PC user for so long and it's just so foreign to me.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This is one thing you will get used to quite quickly...you don't waste screen space like in Windows by maximising apps, try using F9 for how mac users switch between apps (its called Exposé) . For fullscreen Quicktime, you have to pay for the pro version...but you can use VLC Player for full screen video watching for free.

Yes...in Finder (the equivalent of Windows Explorer) File->New Folder

Yes, its likely through wireless

Drag them into a folder in Finder that you want to keep them in
    Copy the iTunes music folder from the PC to the Music folder on your Mac, with the ethernet cable plugged in.

Check out the MacRumors beginners guide, it really has been worked on hard, and is great :)

3. TaylorDog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I downloaded VLC and it works like a charm. I will definitely read through the guide as well. I have one more question though:

I downloaded VLC and the dmg file came on the desktop. When I double click it, it installs itself and the vlc icon is on the desktop, which when I click it it opens up a folder. I can't seem to figure out how to move that folder out of the desktop into the applications folder instead though. Whenever I try it just makes a copy/shortcut to the folder, but it isn't moving the actual folder. Does this make sense? Is there any way around it?

Thanks!

4. Gee macrumors 65816

Normally with a download, the donloaded file is compressed (zipped or similar; the dmg file). When it's finished downloading, it automatically (often) uncompresses itself into what is essentilly a virtual install disk - this appears as a white box-like icon on your dekstop. You'll find that flash sticks and some camera memory cards also show up with this icon.

Inside the 'disk' is the thing you've downloaded - in your case, the VLC program. Normally, you would just drag the content of the disk to your applications folder.

It sounds like you're trying to drag the whole disk, not just the content.

When you've finished copying the content over, you can 'eject' the disk by dragging it to the trash.

Make sense?

5. TaylorDog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That's exactly what I was doing. I've gotten all that sorted out now, have transferred a bunch of stuff from the PC, and am generally getting the hang of things. I really couldn't be happier with my Mac experience!

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

To make adding new folders really easy, you can customize your Finder window toolbar (not to be confused with the top-of-the-screen menu bar). Go to View/Customize and drag whatever extra buttons you want to the Finder toolbar. In there you have buttons for new folder, get info, delete and connect to network among others. I'm not at my Mac so can't remember what else.