Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chewy-wombat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Alright chaps,

I've just got given two G5's because work was having a clear out. I don't know there specs yet except for there RAM, one has 14gb the other 8gb. Once I sort out a monitor for them I'll be Able to have a look at there full specs.

I know the software developers don't make software for PowerPC range now so I was just wondering in terms of general usability, what could I use these beautiful nevertheless extinct machines for?

I don't want to make a BBQ out of them and I don't want to use them as some sort of pretentious stool. I just want some inspiration from you guys what I could actually get out of them.

Cheers!

Last edited:

wobegong

May 29, 2012
Internet browsing : I use Leopard WebKit but there are others that will be suggested.
Email : TenFourBird (up to date Thunderbird) or MS Office 2008 Entourage
Movie Playing : VLC
Media Centre : XBMC
x264 encoding : Elgato Turbo.264 (will need to get the dongle second hand)
Music : iTunes / Spotify (old versions but work fine)
Messaging : Yahoo Messenger (current version), iChat (Google/AIM), Skype (old version)
Office : MS Office 2008 / LibreOffice (current)
Photo Management : iPhoto / Aperture 2
Photo Editing : Photoshop, GIMP, others
Games : Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake 4, Doom 3, Amnesia (actually current!), Halo etc.
BitTorrent : Transmission
Dropbox (current)
Evernote (old version but works fine)
1Password (old version but works fine and plays fine with current version on other machines)
Air server : old version but works fine
So really pretty much anything... Many more options than those above that others will suggest. Google will quickly tell you which version was the last to support PowerPC of whatever software you are after.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
They're still excellent machines and capable of just about anything other than running the very latest software. Way to go! Pass one on to a family member or friend who needs a computer.

Jake0604

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Build this table.

3Hu0S.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Alright chaps,

I've just got given two G5's because work was having a clear out. I don't know there specs yet except for there RAM, one has 14gb the other 8gb. Once I sort out a monitor for them I'll be Able to have a look at there full specs.

I know the software developers don't make software for PowerPC range now so I was just wondering in terms of general usability, what could I use these beautiful nevertheless extinct machines for?

I don't want to make a BBQ out of them and I don't want to use them as some sort of pretentious stool. I just want some inspiration from you guys what I could actually get out of them.

Cheers!
I have a 1.8ghz G5 and all I can say is that it was the main machine at work from Feb. 2005 until May 2013. 4GB ram and it handled Adobe CS4, QuarkXPress 8, Acrobat 9 Pro and just about any design or pagination problem you wanted to throw at it. So, from a design perspective my machine is relevant. Your's would be considerably more so give the amount of ram you have.

I'm told that some of the quad core G5's still handle HD video (editing) well, so these machines are still capable for just about anything you may wish to do.

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
I have been wanting a g5 really bad here lately!Ive been kicking it over on the macbook forums for a while but every time I grab my powerbook I don't let go of it for a couple days,just such a reliable machine and the g5 looks like the powerbooks big,fat,and blind(no lcd) cousin.I've got my eye on a quad right now but I may settle for a decent specd dual since the quad is still a little expensive and a little out there since my power needs are pretty much next to none -aurora fox,avery design pro and pwnage tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.