Just got got the iPad but power button doesn't work??

yalag

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Just got the iPad was so excited but found that the power button doesn't work any ideas? Anyone else having this problem?? I remember turning it on with e power button so it might have worked for a while but now i cant turn off the device!!

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Yuck. That's too bad. :(

1. Hard reset (yes, it might work)
  2. Let the battery drain to the point it sleeps/shuts down and see what happens when you charge it back up
  3. Return to Apple for replacement

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
I would just go ahead and take it to an apple store and exchange it out. Don't waste time with a restore.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
To turn it off, hold the power button on the top right until the red slider appears at the top of the screen, and slide that to turn it off. :)

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Oh, I thought you were new to the iPhone OS, maybe not. Try a hard reset and restoring if that doesn't help. Seems software-related since the button was working fine before.

yalag

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
if the power button doesnt work i cant hard reset right? ive tried holding the power and home button for really long, nothing happens. i cant return it
:( because its in canada now

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
if the power button doesnt work i cant hard reset right? ive tried holding the power and home button for really long, nothing happens. i cant return it
:( because its in canada now
Leave it on until the battery drains completely, wipe it from iTunes, and restart. Probably won't work, but it's worth a shot.

Vege-Taco

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
Arizona
Mine is doing the same thing. The button worked Saturday, but yesterday and today it is non-functional.

yalag

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Mine is doing the same thing. The button worked Saturday, but yesterday and today it is non-functional.
I knew I won't be the only one having this problem.....let me know if you have a solution. I've tried everything..

Vege-Taco

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
Arizona
I opened up a case with Apple. They had me backup the iPad and do a clean restore of system defaults. The power button is still unresponsive. Apple is now shipping me a box to return the unit in and will issue me a replacement. If I had an Apple Store nearby they would have sent me there for a replacement, but the nearest one is 3 hours away, so UPS will have to handle the swap.

jderekc

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
I had the same problem with my 32Gb iPAD. The sleep wake button was stuck and not working. Ended up just returning it to Best Buy, I will pick up another one when they come back in stock. I didn't want to ship it back to apple and wait for repair.

colonels1020

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
Mine is doing the same thing. Sometimes it will work, other times the button does nothing. I've bot a 64GB iPad Wi-Fi.

hallen9999

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
my power buttons dead also

after a few months my 64g 3g will not shut off with the power button. Opened a case with apple, did the upgrade - nothing; did the restore like they requested - nothing; now I am going to take it back and get another as soon as I can find the time. The buttons still clicks and feels like it always has, it just won't turn the unit off (or on for that matter). :mad: