Just got got the iPad but power button doesn't work??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yalag, Apr 4, 2010.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

Just got the iPad was so excited but found that the power button doesn't work any ideas? Anyone else having this problem?? I remember turning it on with e power button so it might have worked for a while but now i cant turn off the device!!

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yuck. That's too bad. :(

1. Hard reset (yes, it might work)
    2. Let the battery drain to the point it sleeps/shuts down and see what happens when you charge it back up
    3. Return to Apple for replacement

3. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

4. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I would just go ahead and take it to an apple store and exchange it out. Don't waste time with a restore.

5. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

To turn it off, hold the power button on the top right until the red slider appears at the top of the screen, and slide that to turn it off. :)

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Oh, I thought you were new to the iPhone OS, maybe not. Try a hard reset and restoring if that doesn't help. Seems software-related since the button was working fine before.

7. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

if the power button doesnt work i cant hard reset right? ive tried holding the power and home button for really long, nothing happens. i cant return it
    :( because its in canada now

8. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Leave it on until the battery drains completely, wipe it from iTunes, and restart. Probably won't work, but it's worth a shot.

9. Vege-Taco macrumors member

Vege-Taco

Mine is doing the same thing. The button worked Saturday, but yesterday and today it is non-functional.

10. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

I knew I won't be the only one having this problem.....let me know if you have a solution. I've tried everything..

11. Vege-Taco macrumors member

Vege-Taco

I opened up a case with Apple. They had me backup the iPad and do a clean restore of system defaults. The power button is still unresponsive. Apple is now shipping me a box to return the unit in and will issue me a replacement. If I had an Apple Store nearby they would have sent me there for a replacement, but the nearest one is 3 hours away, so UPS will have to handle the swap.

12. jderekc macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my 32Gb iPAD. The sleep wake button was stuck and not working. Ended up just returning it to Best Buy, I will pick up another one when they come back in stock. I didn't want to ship it back to apple and wait for repair.

13. colonels1020 macrumors regular

colonels1020

Mine is doing the same thing. Sometimes it will work, other times the button does nothing. I've bot a 64GB iPad Wi-Fi.

14. hallen9999 macrumors newbie

my power buttons dead also

after a few months my 64g 3g will not shut off with the power button. Opened a case with apple, did the upgrade - nothing; did the restore like they requested - nothing; now I am going to take it back and get another as soon as I can find the time. The buttons still clicks and feels like it always has, it just won't turn the unit off (or on for that matter). :mad: