Just got home with iPad 2.. already having an issue.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AirForceOne, Sep 2, 2011.

1. AirForceOne macrumors member

Hi

Just got home with my first Apple product ever. :) Loving it so far!.. but when I go into Maps and try and drop a pin, Maps crashes back to the homescreen. Is this a known issue? anyone know how to resolve it? Thank you for any help!

EDIT: I just noticed I'm on 4.3.3...would upgrading to the latest software maybe help?

chris

2. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Unless you intend to "jailbreak" your iPad, upgrade to the latest iOS (4.3.5). But be warned that there's no turning back. You won't be able to jailbreak the iPad.

Haven't heard of your specific problem but it wouldn't surprise me to find that maps (which has been updated since 4.3.5 came out) acting as you suggest.

Just to be sure, though, I assume you've activated the iPad, right? Assuming that is the case, you might try a cold reboot. This involves holding down both the power switch and on/off button until the iPad reboots. Should take less than 30 seconds.

3. AirForceOne thread starter macrumors member

Hi

Thanks for the input. Yes I already tried a hard reboot and yes I have activated the iPad. I have no intention of jailbreaking for now. I have rooted Android devices and would just like to have the full Apple experience right now, and that means no jailbreaking. I figure they will find a new exploit in iOS5, etc..so if i change my mind I can wait until then. I've begun the update process and will report back my results. :)

Thank you again

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Sounds like you know what you're doing, Chris, especially since you're familiar with rooting an Android device. If the OS update doesn't solve your problem you should take it in to an Apple Store (assuming one's convenient for you.)

If it were not "maps" you could just "uninstall" the app and download it again to cope with a corrupted app. But since maps is part of the iPad software package, you cannot do that. The fact that you cannot suggests, by the way, that it's tightly integrated with the OS and that's another reason for updating your OS.

5. AirForceOne thread starter macrumors member

Hi

Well I "kinda" know what I'm doing.;)

I just finished updating and the issue still exist. Guess my only option is to head back to the Apple store.

6. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I think so. We've come to the end of my expertise. Just for grins, though, you should try another cold reboot after updating your OS if you haven't already done so.

7. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Odd... I just tried that on mine and it also crashed, I then just went to Settings / Location services and toggled the switch off and back on, then reopened Maps and it worked. Give that a try.

8. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I've had a similar issue with maps on my iPhone. It comes and goes.

9. AirForceOne thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for the input

I just got home, I would say from the Apple store.. but I only made it to the parking lot. :) I decided before I went in I should test it again "just to make sure", and sure enough, it started working perfectly!

I was in the car and connected my iPad(Verizon 3G but data not activated) to my Thunderbolt via the TBolt's wifi hotspot, and out of 100 pin drops, zero crashes.

So I figured it must be my home wifi. So I got home and I'll be damned if every darn pin drop is working perfect with my home wifi now!

Before I left for the Apple store I did 100 pin drops and 84 out of 100 crashed the Maps app.

I have no idea what the issue is/was but since you guys are having the issue once in awhile as well, it must be something on the Maps server end or something.

Anyway I'm just happy I got to keep the iPad I have. It has very minimal light leak and so far no stuck pixels or dust, etc..I'm very happy with it.

Thank you everyone for the help and input :)

chris

10. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Chris,

Forgot to mention the toothache phenomenon. The iPad is known to react to trips to the Apple store much like my daughter responds to trips to the dentist. "Really, Dad, it doesn't hurt anymore...Really."

11. AirForceOne thread starter macrumors member

jsh1120, Ha that's funny man. :D