Just got home with my new updated MacBook.....I have questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BEASTMAN, Nov 1, 2007.

1. BEASTMAN macrumors member

Alright this is my first mac that "I" own, at my parents we have an iMac and a mac pro so I am fimiliar with them but have some questions.

I got the base model with -$100 from educational discount then -$100 from getting the iphone on launch day.

If I switch out the hard drive myself the warranty is void but if I have any problems and I just put the old hd back in what would happen?

They said if I upgrade the ram I have to get apple ram so the warranty isnt voided, whats stopping me from just putting the old ram back in if I have a problem?

Also is there a guide to replacing my macbook hd with a WD mybook portable hd? Like the formatting and opening the macbook?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Neither of those things will void your warranty as long as you don't negligently wreck your machine. (You know, like trying to open the thing up using a drill press...) Use whatever RAM you want, but buy from a trusted third-part vendor that guarantees compatibility and offers a lifetime warranty. OWC and DMS are popular and good options in the US.

It's generally a good idea to hold onto the Apple RAM though, as they won't cover problems caused by third-party RAM. If you do have a problem, it's nice to be able to pop the Apple RAM back in and prove that the problem persists.

Installing RAM

Installing Hard Drive

3. BEASTMAN thread starter macrumors member

thank you very much for the information, also the leopard backup disk that comes with it, I shouldnt have any problem using it to load leopard on the new hd will I?

4. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Correct, and since its a Macbook, swapping harddrives are going to be a lot easier, since it is designed to be user replaceable, unlike the Macbook Pro.