just got ipad2 - want to jb?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by troyhouse, Apr 23, 2011.

1. troyhouse macrumors 6502

just got ipad2, not even opened yet, but if i want to jb, what should i do? what version of os should i be on so it can be jb'ed. any input will be greatly appreciated.

2. dylanursula macrumors 6502

At this point there is no JB, so I would just open it up and not update the firmware for now and enjoy until/if a JB comes along

3. Dav1, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

Dav1 macrumors 6502

There is no jailbreak for your device, yet but you should download TinyUmbrella from here, http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ and run it on your PC/Mac, to get a SHSH Blob for your iPad2, do this for each firmware installed on your device. At the moment Cydia has issues, you may or may not be able to do it....
    still you need to try, until you get it.

To save your SHSH via APPLE instead of CYDIA (the default) go into Advanced options and UNCHECK the box that clearly says: "Request SHSH From Cydia" then click 'Apply Changes' then select your device then click 'Save SHSH'

4. Hackint0sh814 macrumors member

If your still on 4.3 I won't update at all just to be safe. I purchased mine on release day and won't update to 4.3.1 or 4.3.2 until some news on which version the JB will be released for.

5. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Just staying on a firmware version in itself is not enough! you also need to say SHSH Blobs for the various versions... You do not need to be jailbroken to save SHSH blobs... SHSH blobs act as keys, and permit you to reload a firmware version for which you have saved a blob. Nor do you need to be at the current level to save a blob for that level.... So please save your blobs!

6. Hackint0sh814 macrumors member

I agree you should always save your SHSH Blobs, but if you're still on 4.3 I wouldn't update just to be safe. Better safe than sorry.

7. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

save the blob and just sit tight and follow some tweets. From last couple tweet, it sounds like it's gonna be a while( I am guessing at least 2 weeks but it could be something like 4 to 6 weeks further)

8. Polymira macrumors regular

Sadly some of us bought our iPad's after the newer software was released ... too late to grab the SHSH blobs =/

9. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Yeah it sucks but just do whatever blob back up next opportunity you run into. Currently no JB in sight anytime soon so it sucks for everyone at the moment.

10. brandonlamb25 macrumors newbie

Does tiny umbrella update every time a next firmware is released?