Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
My new replacement Mac Pro (I returned my first one for video card issues) with the 8800GT, to be honest I'm disappointed. I opened it up and updated to 10.5.2, and it's SLOW!!! I cannot type this as fast I normally would be able to type because the words appear 2-3 seconds after I type them... Is this lag normal?

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Maybe I'm just paranoid. The laggy typing seemed to have gone away after a hard restart. Why does it take finder 1 minute+ to list file sizes? Is that normal? I thought 10.5.2 fixed slow finder issues, no?

trixter

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
My new replacement Mac Pro (I returned my first one for video card issues) with the 8800GT, to be honest I'm disappointed. I opened it up and updated to 10.5.2, and it's SLOW!!! I cannot type this as fast I normally would be able to type because the words appear 2-3 seconds after I type them... Is this lag normal?

first spotlight index :)

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
when you first start the computer for the first time, or install a osx or sometimes even after an update, spotlight has to reindex all your files. this can slow down the computer for the time being. once its over you are set and speed will return to normal. you have nothing to worry about

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Don't fall into the trap of being too paranoid, you will forever be looking for things.

I got my new Mac pro after 2 faulty ones with the ATi cards. I now have new one with the 8800GT 6GB ram and it works like a dream no crashes etc. :) and fast as ;)

eyecool

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Looks like the issues went away. Thank god!

As for finder, why arent all of the file sizes displayed? Just a few have displayed, this seems odd.

Cover Flow, List and Columns all show file sizes. Icons and folders won't show file size. You have to 'Get Info' to get the sizes if you are in finder and viewing icons or folders.

Man P.S., you have the best luck with shipping but worst luck with mp's! I think you officially lapped a lot of us, 2 mp's delivered in less time than its taking us to get 1! LOL

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Cover Flow, List and Columns all show file sizes. Icons and folders won't show file size. You have to 'Get Info' to get the sizes if you are in finder and viewing icons or folders.

Man P.S., you have the best luck with shipping but worst luck with mp's! I think you officially lapped a lot of us, 2 mp's delivered in less time than its taking us to get 1! LOL

SHHHH this one is perfect!! My first one was noticeably screwed. This one rocks. I just opened up four 1080p videos in quicktime and played them all at the same time, no lag!

One thing that I did find funky was a terrible whine from the case. I opened it up and noticed the hard drive was totally loose. Tightened it up and it's perfect!

Time to install the Sammy's and OWC ram!

Has your 8800GT system shipped yet Eyecool?

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
No, but thanks for reminding me. I just checked again (it had been a few minutes) and it's still 'Prepared for Shipment'.

It will ship in a matter of hours. Mine shipped very quickly!

ildondeigiocchi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Montreal

Didn't you order in February... OMG:mad::mad::mad: I ordered Jan 20 and STILLLLLLLLLLLLL didn't recieve it.... not even the "PREPARED FOR SHIPMENT" notice!!!! THis is utterly ridiculous. People who order later receive earlier than others???:mad::mad::mad:

Will G.

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2006
Heh, all this talk of things going wrong is making me nervious. My Mac Pro w/ 8800gt arrives today. Returning it would be a huge hassle and I REALLY do not want to.

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Didn't you order in February... OMG:mad::mad::mad: I ordered Jan 20 and STILLLLLLLLLLLLL didn't recieve it.... not even the "PREPARED FOR SHIPMENT" notice!!!! THis is utterly ridiculous. People who order later receive earlier than others???:mad::mad::mad:

I ordered February 7th. :) I've been waiting since the 23rd, since my first machine was returned. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.