Just got it!! Question about battery care...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jason123, May 25, 2008.

1. jason123 macrumors newbie

Hey all I just purchased a new macbook pro and I am loving it so far. I have one question concerning battery care though....I know that it is best for the first few charges to go from 100-0, recharge, 100-0, recharge, etc., But once I have calibrated the battery is it bad to leave it plugged in at 100% power while using it?

Thanks for help

2. 66217 Guest

Nope, no problem leaving it connected.

In fact, I'll give you the best recommendation regarding battery care: never mind about the battery, just use your computer as you want.

Really, I have only calibrated my MB battery 2-3 times in two years and the battery still gives me around 3 hours with normal use.

3. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

QFT. I spend no time fretting about wattage / charge cycles / whatever and thus more time just using the damn thing.

4. 66217 Guest

Just curious. What does QFT stands for?

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Quoted for truth! Just an alternative to "+1" or "what they said". :D

6. jason123 thread starter macrumors newbie

My friend told me after the first cycle to leave it off for about 5hours with 0% battery before recharging...is this even worth doing? (He made it sound like it was very important)

Thanks for the quick responses

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I practically calibrate my battery every day, sometimes twice. Battery is doing very well ATM.

http://acronymfinder.com

Saves the embarrassment. ;)

8. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Me too. I run it until it gets low, plug it in, charge it up, and start all over again. I have had this MBP 20 days and have 29 cycles.

I don't understand the people who say they have had their notebook for 6 months and have 2 cycles.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's the way to do it!

10. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Possibly he was talking about recalibrating. That is fairly important if you want reliable data from the battery regarding its mAh capacity, charge cycles and whatnot.

11. 66217 Guest

:D

But why the complication of doing it everyday? What's the gain?

I might have hundreds of cycles, but not because I make them to keep my battery healthy, just because of the normal use I give it.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I actually use my battery for a full cycle or two daily because I don't have access to an outlet.

13. 66217 Guest

I don't think it is important. Modern batteries are very well made and they don't need that much care as the batteries from some years back.

But if you can, and it gives you peace of mind, then do it. One thing is certain, doing it won't damage the battery.;)

14. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I use mine also for a full cycle or two per day. I have access to a outlet, but prefer to use it unplugged whenever possible.

15. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I also don't care about cycle count. This is just my normal use.